Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines tattooedpirate2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes fellows no lube is required the piston is teflon impregnated to help it slide. The top voltage is 12 volts on the motor, but I have run them up to 16 volts. The manufacturer said you can do this but it will shorten the life of the motor. As for using the machine without a give spring this is ill advised for the needle pin will impact the top of the frame and cause metal to fall into the piston bore. Spring for the spring give set it will save the machine unnessasary wear and tare, at $20.00 US its well worth the money. You guys can email me any questions, I don't mind telling the secrets of the machines. It's what I'm here for, to help the industry, not hinder.

2. Thanks OwlsDen thanked for this post.
    Like Shizzai liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hay guys just my two cents ive had a pirate machine for almost 3 years now
    Cary has always been super cool with any questions i had.
    I mostly shade with mine on a short stroke but its a good machine
    all around. I know you guys are talking about a diferant machine i think
    Mine is a rapier. But cary's engineering is great.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aedmonds View Post
    wait.. i thought i read these wernt supposed to be lubed ? there definatly wasint any lube in there when i took it apart.
    it is impregnated with teflon but you can use a small sheen of this on that type of material for even better performance:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Bowld-Tefl.../dp/B00144172Q

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    I imagine that lubricant would work well on most machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link Slick, have you used/ do you know about that kind of lube Cary ? Thoughts ? When i took the piston out there seemed to be some dust that mashed itself into the piston, or so it seemed. It operates fine so i wasint too concerned, but just incase how much could i get a replacement piston for, if i need one eventually ? I dont mean to take up your time here on the forum Cary, but i figure this info could possibly benefit more then a few people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point, I would like to know how much a new piston would be. Not that I see needing one, but in case.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines tattooedpirate2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use any lube in mine, it is such a tight tolerence it may hinder the machine when its new. But ,later on when it's been used for a long time it would close the gap again. I tried the machine with several types of lube when I built the first ones and found that using them dry was best. The plastic the piston is made out of swells in the bore from friction to improve the performance, ike knurlizing your pistons to fit the bore in a blueprinted race engine. I have the first one and I have never put lube in mine and I use it every single day. I try to break all my machines to see how long they will last. My brothers shop 3 different artists use the second machine 7 days a week and no lube as well for indurance. You can check his site out www.joedrachekicksass.com very long sessions and no problems so far. He's the bull in the china shop so to speak when it comes to tattoo machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just bought a 2nd hand treasure chest and wow its quality stuff. the only thing is i never got instructions to alter the stroke. Is there any owners of the same machine who could give me a quick how to guide?

Thanks

Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    The spindle that connects the crank arm to the motor has a screw on it. Remove that and look at the spindle. There are three holes. Each one slightly further from the center. The furthest is the longest stroke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!.... Is that it? I should be blonde haha.. Cheers den...