Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines JCarlton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not digging the whip.

Just picked up a whip a few days ago and I have found even with the hard clip set at its stiffest setting, is just to soft for me. Its funny because the more I use rotaries especially the fancier more expensive ones. the more I find I really just want direct strike. I have played with almost all of the machines on the market and the ones that are adjustable almost always end up on the hardest setting. I realize this all comes down to how the individual artist works, hand speed and what not, and my opinion really doesn't matter because its just that, mine. But I was curious to see if rotaries have brought out a cleaner more technical side of your tattooing as well? Like for instance sort of forcing you to learn how to put ink in the right way the first time. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate give in a machine but it has to have some punch behind it. The specific and centri are the first that come to mind as far as a nice strike that can back off a little but still deliver pigment and not just poke unnecessary holes.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey josh what are you liking the most ive never tried any that have give, closest thing to give is a stealth that backs off a bit do to a weaker motor, which is great for black and grey

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Josh, my favourite rotaries so far are ones without give. I love my Mike Metaxa direct drive machine, although it's not linear. A lot of artists have criticized the awkwardness of the German Evolution machine but the smoothness in my black and grey has increased since using it. I also love my Rotaryworks, again they're no give machines. I've heard artists state that rotaries cause more skin trauma but that's not what i've seen. I think the ink goes in more efficiently using a rotary so the tattoo gets done more efficiently which causes the customer less pain and for less time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im absolutely loving the whip. Matter of fact, its all I use now. I did use dragonflies and rapiers, but I just cant dig the spring-driven give.

I've never used any direct drivers.

5. Thanks Samyo thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard mostly good things about the whip. like I mentioned each artist has there own way of working. I am familiar with your work Tommy and its obviously working for you. I just felt like it was bouncing off the skin more than actually tattooing efficiently. I suppose I could get used to it and it would eventually change my hand speed and way of working. I will probably trade it for something with more punch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also own a whip and find it really nice for round shader needles.what i noticed that rotaryes with give are very round shader friendly,and when it comes to magnums i like just a small amount of give or no give at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Otto, I just started experimenting with round groupings such as a loose 7 or a loose 3. Very different for me but fast heals and incredible saturation. Maybe I will give the whip another try on something smaller than a 15 mag.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don t know if you guys noticed that the whip,on the hard set of the clip it dosen t hit harder just the amount of give is not that big,actualy it felt smoother for me.on the soft set of the clip the machine has more punch..

10. Like Samyo, Neo liked this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that way to. As I have my coil colorpacker set like that,they have a long front slinder spring that has a nice bow to it. I would think the soft clip would flex the same at higher volts -whiping the head down wich would work better for popping the thicker colors in.We all know speed+distance something that is slung on a anchored point will get more of smooth stroke to it much like a shock assembly. I would thing the hard clip set in the middle would work good for large lining/ standard bng give shading and at the hardest setting for fast smaller liners and bng shading were you ride off the needle tip with the tube tip touching the skin.
    Last edited by slicksteel; 09-24-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo!

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I also own a whip and find it really nice for round shader needles.what i noticed that rotaryes with give are very round shader friendly,and when it comes to magnums i like just a small amount of give or no give at all
    I would think it works better with rounds as they require less pressure to push them in compared to a mag. most people use to much powerand not enough give with rounds and they chew up the skin.
    I Love your work otto you truly are a master in tattoo technique and art composition.
    Have you ever thought of makeing a dvd teaching your rotary technique I am sure it would sell well and help other artists.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing