Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Dragon fly 'replica' pics

Hi Guys, Dunno if this is the right place to put these or if its a free for all in this section. Being curious about the knockoff machine I sent for 2 from the main supplier in Hongkong. The minimum order from them is 10 Machines but as I wanted to see how they worked and the quality etc they agreed to send just the 2 for starters.
    Now it is my intention at somepoint to purchase the real thing 'wether by trade or cash' So I thought I'd prepare to compare as they say. I got a brass/yellow and a green 1. As I only have pics of an original the first thing I've noticed is that the motor is gripped in place with only 2 Grubscrews Where as the DF has I think 4 from what I can see. Also these machines have no particular polarity set up with regards to coding the back hence now having a dab on 1 of the posts of My partners red nail varnish ...No seriousley...it does belong to the missus! (cough) ...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the Price paid for these (Considerably a lot less than they are selling on ebay for) So if anyone wants to hit me up and there a regular contributor to the boards I'll have no problem sharing. They seem pretty well balanced and run from approx 7 volts up. Adjustable through the top screw which you'd expect and has a good resistance. (How long for is anyones guess) At some point over the next week or so I'll try em out and try get a few pics up. And note: these were purchased out of curiosity before taking the plunge on the real thing, Not to sell on and make some poor guy think he's getting a bargain at a discount from the original cost of a DF.

I have also taken a video of these running on a Danny Harkins Anologue Tattoo supply that uses The Dave long electrics system from Canada. Once I find the Docking staion for it I'll upload the footage.

Picture 001.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 010.jpg Picture 007.jpg
    Its the voices!... They made me do it!

2. Thanks drewsifer247 thanked for this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what to say...
    To each it's own.
    Let's not make this site become the pirate bay of knock offs.

There is pretty good google ranking pointing to this site when you search for rotary tattoo machines.
    I wouldn't want to encourage anyone into buying knock offs.

One thing is to make someone aware about a knock off and another thing is to have full reviews and encouragement to buy them.
    I think non of the builders here would like to see their machine knocked off on this site and seeing that there are followers that would
    buy them.

That would be the end of many of us, builders on this site.
    I can't imagine the amount of work and money DragonFly spent to create their machines.
    Anyone with a hint of respect should stay away from "non originality"

This is just my opinion.
    I may be wrong
    Last edited by fkirons; 11-14-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

4. Thanks vodu thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the site shoudlnt be a promotion place for the knock offs sure, and my comment about how much they cost etc was really to point out that the money involved on my behalf is not about buying to sell etc, I wasnt sure where to put the thread and I'd be happy if it was moved behind closed doors so to speak hence my opening sentence on the thread.

I want to show folk on here that it is a genuine 'buyer beware' issue. From a distance they may look like the real thing but when you get a good close up of the machine rather than the Auction site pics people get to satisfy that curiousity of how its built/Build quality etc without having to part with the dollars! Its also interesting for those builders who have been ripped to see closer up what effort if any has gone into the knock offs but dont as of yet have 1 to hand to comment further. If they are looking in I'll happily email em pics from whatever angle they want to see it.

6. Like drewsifer247 liked this post.
    Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its sad that I know many many working professionals that will still buy this junk because they feel its less committal. They buy a stealth, a swash knock off or whatever junk is popular at the time on ebay. Use it tell people it works pretty well and then maybe some will move on to buy something better. All the while they are telling other people they picked up this cheap rotary on ebay and its pretty good.

Discussing the knock off designs is not a bad thing especially since there are enough people on here that will admit they made the mistake and can tell people what the shortfalls are. When I have time this week I will just make a subforum for the reviews section that is not visible to public traffic where you can discuss the junk machines. If the discussions make you really angry and start fights I will advise you ad that sub forum to your ignore list. The public will not see the info only the membership.

8. Like vodu, punkangel, Cesar, Gabetexas liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Debate is definately healthy, Both the ugly side of this Craft and the beautiful side. I dont wish to promote this stuff but merely allow those thinking about it to make an informed decision on the quality they are letting themselves in for.. Knock off/Counterfeit whatever you want to call it will be here long after we are gone as it always has been. I'm sure there will be guys on here as elsewhere that will be voiceing opinions on the garbage and at the same time ordering them by the dozen to flog on to others! That is a sad fact of life. Nothing anymore is sacred!.... Oh and sorry Admin for making more work for ya! Re: a subforum. I'm sure it will prosper lol.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not more work at all, I just need a few minutes to do it since I need to set permissions for it so only membership can see it. If i dont focus on what I am doing when I add it I can break things... it happens from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see the problem with so called knockoff machines every machine is a knockoff.The best I can tell the swash, Swiss and neo tat were original the rest of you bit off them in some way or another. Is your machine totally original did you steal an idea when you seen another machine? You can tattoo with a sewing needle the machine just makes it faster and easier. Why do people buy from china because you builders have maybe 100 tied up in one build and that's if your not mass producing and selling for 500 that's why. Im out to make my family money not a machine builder who thinks he has invented the next best thing. Bottom line is lower you prices and you wont have to worry about china!!!

13. Like drewsifer247 liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I don't see the problem with so called knockoff machines every machine is a knockoff.The best I can tell the swash, Swiss and neo tat were original the rest of you bit off them in some way or another. Is your machine totally original did you steal an idea when you seen another machine? You can tattoo with a sewing needle the machine just makes it faster and easier. Why do people buy from china because you builders have maybe 100 tied up in one build and that's if your not mass producing and selling for 500 that's why. Im out to make my family money not a machine builder who thinks he has invented the next best thing. Bottom line is lower you prices and you wont have to worry about china!!!
    The problem with fake copies is they didn't spend the money doing the research or the hard work designing the machines, good builders dont copy but improve on designs. And whats $500 if you can make thousands and thousands off of that one machine. Usually copies are made with cheaper parts and dont last as long. Bottom line is if your to cheap to pay for a cadillac go buy a honda! Sorry but i dont mean to be offensive but builders spend alot of time and money building quality machines
    for us artist to use and the machinery is not cheap, try pricing a cnc machine!

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What these people are doing is waiting for someone to invest energy, time and money so they can come and steal a design/ mechanism to profit off your hard work. Screw that however you look at it.

I know Chris and Hikmet personally and know that they have spent hours and hours of time before releasing this machine. I even had the chance to see one of their earlier protos at Max's from Evil Twins, which happens the artists that helped helped with the making.

To just come and snatch all the work without sweating a drop is completely unfair, unethical, and should not belong to this industry.
    It is as bad or worse than having someones work in your portfolio.

Improving an idea is completely different than cloning a copycat.
    I wouldn't be surprise, if worldwide tattoo is behind the crime.
    Last edited by fkirons; 11-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com