Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Rotar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsDen View Post
    So aside from the adjustments needed, how did it tattoo?
    It ran awesome. I really love it so far. The chuck is still a bit time consuming to use as it's kinda tough tightening it up while keeping tube aligned, though not a big deal. The tube vise grips well enough(works alot better if you grease the threads) and is totally low profile. Overall I'm really happy with the Rotar, but we shall see what the longevity is like. I'm definately keeping mine for now!

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    they look like a neuma2 chuck/vice

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Except the Neuma has the collet male part attached to the frame and the tightening chuck nut screws onto it. On the Rotar the collet screws into the frame. Difference is that on the Neuma, when you tighten the vise, the tube stays aligned with the frame, while on the Rotar when you tighten the nut it wants to spin your tube as well. Makes it harder to set up, but not a huge deal. I'd rather it was like the Neuma, or better yet just a nice guillotine vise.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea but if the collet broke on the rotar you could just replace that part with out trowing away the whole frame which would be a plus.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    True. But I wonder how many collets on neumas have ever broken. Probably 0. Funny, because the Rotar looks like it'd break if it was dropped or looked at wrong lol. I do love the machine, but sure wouldn't mind another 10grams of aluminum on it. Mine weighs in at 54 grams. Might be the lightest electric tattoo machine made. I also wouldn't mind a different slider , maybe square instead of round so it couldn't twist laterally. Sure it would be harder and costlier to machine, probably why it's round.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought mine because of the weight (or lack thereof).

The last version (the first one i had) had the collet on the outside and it screwed onto the frame. The tubes wouldnt turn when you tightened it, but it wouldn't tighten enough to hold the tube.

Also, if you arent careful when you set up the machine you can very easily puncture or tear a glove on the sharp parts on the back (yes, I know a file will take care of that, but I don't want to file the anodizing off)

Its been said before i think, but I feel like these machines are changing every couple of months, and the changes are not minor. I think one needs to be settled upon and carefully refined. Not overhauled every time. Though I do applaud the effort, enthusiasm, and ingenuity going into these machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I carefully filed all the edges on mine right after the first use. I have to customize everything I own, damn OCD.