Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Inexpensive investment to prolong life of rotary motors - ferrite donuts, beads

Ferrite donuts can prolong the life of your motor. I was told that when I purchased my Blitz rotary. I'll try to take a picture of my setup at the studio so you don't have to look at my painful computer drawing of a ferrite donut with a power cord threaded through it for very long...

donut.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Also insure that you always use the same polarity. Color code your clipcord and always connect the same way. Rca isn't an issue obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Forgot to mention that. I took a red and black sharpie marker and colored the metal ends on my contact points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a great site explaining ferrite donuts and beads - and there's pictures!

http://www.gbrcaa.org/ntoa/Filters,%...0and%20OIs.htm

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ferrite 2.jpgplug3.JPGWe offered these all the way back in 2005. ferrite 1.jpg This ferrite is a snap over that cable type. The best is to loop it once, like the second picture shows. The third picture is the EMI filter open. You have most likely seen them on other equipment in the past. The object of the ferrite is to filter out electrical noise. - Ray

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I should have added....that it depends on the power supply you are using. Most modern power supplies have outputs that are smooth so as not to be a problem running a rotary machine. Personally, I don't see the need for the ferrite if you use a quality power supply. Here in the states you could to find the clamp on ferrite at RadioShack for under $10 or find them online thru electronic suppliers. If you buy online, know that there are different grades of ferrites that filter at different frequencies. You need ones that will filter thru the lower frequency spectrum. Some new rotary machines may use brushless motors and these would be more sensitive to electrical noise than a brush type, but again....use a good power supply.

What is most important is the polarity that you run your machine. As Alie stated before it is a good idea to mark your clip cord connections for polarity. Colored heatshrink works good too. Slip it over the contact wire away from the connection point and then heat....voila!

You would think that after how many years there would be a standard direction on a clip cord.....but still not really. Back when I was doing coil "relay" machines for a company, I suggested using bipolar "non polarized" caps in the machines because they were having caps blow out for some reason....I wonder why??? Because they were hooked up bass-ackwards....DUH!
    When working on the wireless footswitch adapter...again years ago....I was amazed to find that MOST of the tattoo supply (big ones too) companies at the time did not know the polarity of their units!... I called each one and asked. So make sure to run you machines with the proper polarity that the machine manufacture recommends.....it will live longer. Use a voltmeter and check.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's really interesting, Ray! Kind of funny about the distributors knowing about their power supplies though. I guess I might not know much about my power supply if it were made in China! lol (Though, that doesn't go for everyone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I get one of these donut things?

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Ray doesn't have them Radio Shack should.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonLawson View Post
    Where can I get one of these donut things?
    Active Surplus in Toronto.