Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine weights?

You may know I built coils since the early 90's and to rotaries, then onto my own machines in 2004. I designed the NeoTat with weight and balance in mind and I thought the weight was right at 5.6 oz. Noticing the industry going to lighter machines, I introduced the Vivace coming in at 4 oz to help with the weight that artists were asking me for. So now I am noticing a trend in our sales that shows that a number of artists who have bought the lighter Vivace and then purchased the heavier NeoTat machine go on to like it a little better.....because of the weight.

So now I am getting requests for heavier machines.....sort of like the old school coils.....the 7 - 8 oz ones.....kinda full circle here. Remember the 11 oz beasts!?

I can make heavy carved brass or bronze machines that would look cool, but I'm just not into making collectable machines.....I want to provide daily drivers....I'm sure some of you will want to hit me on the head!

My question is......is there any perfect weight or is it just personal preference? and, what is your choice?

-Ray

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anything between 4 & 7 oz works fine for me.
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's the feeling of heavy = solid. Probably wrong most of the time, but the first thing I do is to kida bounce the machine in my hand even before thumbing it. If it s too light there s this not solid-almost like a toy feeling, which is untrue but I guess it s involontary. ie : I would tend to think that my RW or HM would last longer than my stigma hyper or benefits of a better craftmanship, but then again I know it's stupid and totally unrelated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's more about balance. I've used heavy brass machines with great balance that have felt lighter because of the weight distribution.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is definitely to light (under 2.5oz), I think that 4oz to 6oz is a good feel on the wrist and hand. I would like to buy a vivace with an added ounce or two, I love brass
    Last edited by G.Graves; 01-16-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel when you get a rotary machine to light you have to push the needles more-so i use a heavy grip to add a bit of weight. I have some realy heavy coils but they have the weight forward so they are not to bad-but I use a bit smaller metal with rubber gorilla grips on them to absorb the vibrations.
    I did like the first neo's but they seem abit off balance most of the weight was toward the back.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    I like lighter 3-6 oz machines, especially now that I use only disposable tubes. It's always nice to have that weight balance as close to the needle bar as possible. I'd love to see, and have plans to eventually make some cast bronze rotaries. Love a high-tech daily driver that looks vintage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish someone would make cheap simple brass donut weights(maybe 5-10mm tall) that can be slid onto a tubeshank between the grip and machine. Might help add an ounce in a nice centered location. I might have to go to home depot soon and play with stainless and brass washers.

Las Vegas or whatever city I happen to be in
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also believe its more about balance rather than weight. I have some heavier machines that feel weightless with stainless tubes, but feel like a ton with disposables. Just the opposite with my lighter ones. I don't think there is a magic number that every one will agree on. Its all based on personal preference and there are too much variables..... Even the thickness of grips change the way the machine feels.
    can't=finished by end of today, impossible=finished by end of week, out of your mind=already finished

Las Vegas or whatever city I happen to be in
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Oz View Post
    Wish someone would make cheap simple brass donut weights(maybe 5-10mm tall) that can be slid onto a tubeshank between the grip and machine. Might help add an ounce in a nice centered location. I might have to go to home depot soon and play with stainless and brass washers.
    there was a company that had those years ago, but I can't remember who it was. the only problem was it would get in the way of the vise on some machines
    can't=finished by end of today, impossible=finished by end of week, out of your mind=already finished