Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan Kubin Mini Cranker

402188_2938457671214_1554319302_2737160_969754261_n.jpg

I know there's already quite a long thread about 1 of these machines but i thought it was still worth writing a review from my experiences. First of all i'd like to state what a good guy Dan is and how easy it was to contact him and he's always prompt with his replies. Dan actually built this machine for me before he received payment, so thanks to Dan for showing a bit of faith.

A slight negative side was the extra £30 i had to pay for import taxes and Parcelforce don't release the packages until the duty is paid. I understand this has nothing to do with Dan but it does increase the price of the machine a little. Having opened the parcel, i was greeted with the sight of the beautiful machine above. There were precise instructions on machine maintenance, an allen key and some business cards. The machine was well packaged and at this point i was very happy.

Now to the machine function; i connected up the machine with the black clip to the front and the red clip to the back as instructed. The flywheel spun steadily counter clockwise at 2 volts, i then began to raise the voltage slowly till i got to 5.5v. At this voltage the machine is humming nicely and is quieter than my Nedz and my Rotaryworks but ever so slightly louder than my Vivace. The machine is also beautifully balanced and feels great with a 25mm steel grip. I used it today to line with 3rls and 5rls and it out performed ALL my other rotaries hands down. Lovely crisp consistent single pass lines. Really impressed! Next i shaded a rose with a 9mg bugpin, again set at 5.5v i backed the needle off quite a bit and was astounded how well it performs as a shader too. How such a long stroke machine can shade so smoothly i just don't know?!

To sum up; on the first day of use this machine has impressed the hell out of me! It looks stunning, it's very quiet, really well balanced and works wonderfully! Now to sell some of my other machines so i can buy 2 more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that - my first DK is being shipped this week - but I can see another order going in for more

Post Thanks / Like
    if I spoke english I would have done the same review of bishopbyname....great machine!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: as expected it packs colour like a mofo too! Definitely need 2 more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopbyname View Post
    Update: as expected it packs colour like a mofo too! Definitely need 2 more!
    have u still been lining with it?are you still having the same results with it as you did in your first review?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GregM View Post
    have u still been lining with it?are you still having the same results with it as you did in your first review?
    Yes mate, been lining with it every day with 3rls, 5rls, 7rls and 11rls. I have yet to find a function it's not capable of handling.

Knows Whats Up! thesmokingmirror's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats your setup nowadays i saw before you were stoked on the nedz are you still running those to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopbyname View Post
    Yes mate, been lining with it every day with 3rls, 5rls, 7rls and 11rls. I have yet to find a function it's not capable of handling.
    Thats great to hear! I'm gonna order one very soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my order in last night, woo hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingmirror View Post
    whats your setup nowadays i saw before you were stoked on the nedz are you still running those to?
    My Nedz is quite inconsistent to be honest and it's quite harsh sounding. I prefer the look, sound and feel of the Mini Cranker.