Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like

power supply dilemma

about a year ago i bought an eikon EMS250. i prefer turning a dial over buttons so i chose this PS over the others...plus i never planned on being a rotary user. after noticing most of my fav tat artists around the world (boris, maximo lutz, dmitriy samohin etc) are using rotary i wanted to give them a shot. i ordered a LS neotat and just got it in today. machine runs awesome and so quiet! i had my fingers crossed that it would run with my PS but after around ten seconds it cuts off. i had a feeling this would happen so now i have to address the problem.

For now to use the machine i have to tattoo in spurts of 6-8 seconds at a time and then stop before the PS cuts off then start again. can live with this atm for shading stuff but not gonna try and line. what are my options here. we had 2 extra cheap PS from unimax laying around the shop, neither of them run the machine at all. (they are the cheap black box 40$ dollar specials). ive heard someone mention some sort of filter to address this?

i figure my options are to buy a new ps, get this filter, or mail off my ems250 and get the firmware updated to work with my rotary. i dont mind buying a new power supply but i just dont have the money atm to spend 200-300 dollars on one. anyone can recommend a cheaper power supply that will run rotarys and is not a piece of crap or super expensive? i jsut wanna be able to use my neotat

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can find the eikon 200 clone it works great. Or it may even be a 250 clone. It's called the cyclone. I got one off amazon for about 35€ when I thought my ps was going bad. Turned out it was a bad cable. But I have given it to my wife and she uses it with rotaries no issues at all. Hope that helps
    Last edited by OwlsDen; 02-08-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah my power supply sucks for rotary too, i am majorly invested in the rotary machines at this point and am trying to figure out what power supply to get for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on getting an Eikon 400. I was going to get a 200 but i believe in quality (why i am a Mac person).

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may also want to talk to Thom Butler, he is on here and makes some really nice power units from simple to really fucking fancy.

This is one of his more expensive units, I just happened to have the window open in my browser.

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave View Post
    about a year ago i bought an eikon EMS250. i prefer turning a dial over buttons so i chose this PS over the others...plus i never planned on being a rotary user. after noticing most of my fav tat artists around the world (boris, maximo lutz, dmitriy samohin etc) are using rotary i wanted to give them a shot. i ordered a LS neotat and just got it in today. machine runs awesome and so quiet! i had my fingers crossed that it would run with my PS but after around ten seconds it cuts off. i had a feeling this would happen so now i have to address the problem.

For now to use the machine i have to tattoo in spurts of 6-8 seconds at a time and then stop before the PS cuts off then start again. can live with this atm for shading stuff but not gonna try and line. what are my options here. we had 2 extra cheap PS from unimax laying around the shop, neither of them run the machine at all. (they are the cheap black box 40$ dollar specials). ive heard someone mention some sort of filter to address this?

i figure my options are to buy a new ps, get this filter, or mail off my ems250 and get the firmware updated to work with my rotary. i dont mind buying a new power supply but i just dont have the money atm to spend 200-300 dollars on one. anyone can recommend a cheaper power supply that will run rotarys and is not a piece of crap or super expensive? i jsut wanna be able to use my neotat
    Some Eikon supplies are not upgradable, so check before you send it to them. They usually do the firmware upgrade free of charge. Just make sure to request they send it back as a WARRANTY REPAIR so that customs does not give you problems with fees.

As for Admin's post, Thom makes some crazy rad stuff and does not charge nearly what they are worth for them. So cool!
    Not too bad for a GIRL, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    critical power supplies are awesome

8. Like nivek liked this post.
    Las Vegas or whatever city I happen to be in
    Post Thanks / Like
    strange, I had the same ps,it would run some machines fine, and others would cut out. I have the 400 now its great. I also had the cx knock off for about 3-4 weeks it ran all the rotaries in the shop except for the stealth.
    can't=finished by end of today, impossible=finished by end of week, out of your mind=already finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where I saw it but isnt there a switch available thats hooked to a power supply that can be changed from coil to rotary mode?

I also had a lot of trouble when changing to rotaries but I got an EMS400 last year and everything works perfect was totally worth it. Was a real pain to spend so much money but hopefully Im good for a couple of years

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a lab power supply is an even better idea ( not better per say than the eikon 400 ) but if you are budget minded you can get a good quality one for less than 150$.