Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    These machines dont agree with me. If anyone is interested in giving them a shot, I might have two to put up for sale or trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could trade you a nice old paolini coil color packer I have for 1. It's pretty sweet, I did a lot of customizing to it. It has done some great color work for me in the past, haven't touched it since I went rotarded with swashdrives a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't deny the feel and ability of a tuned coil, but I love the lite weight machines, especially since I use lighter disposables and I need that balance. Plus I've got girlie wrists. I sold a bunch of my coils over the last few years but that paolini has stayed with me for about 11 years now and is almost my last coily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live coil free these days, but thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting to me how varied opinions on this machine are. They are at either end of the spectrum and nothing in between.

For me this machine doesn't do it.

I find the idea of the Shift fantastic. It is light, reasonably quiet, insanely small, and hits harder than i imagined it would (or could). It looks slick, like a well thought out well designed machine. And parts of it are. But not all of it.

The rubber band holder is low profile and works well (though it can be a slightly awkward affair at first to put a rubber band on) but they are too sharp, and can easily puncture gloves. While they can be filed, I feel I should not have to file anything on a brand new machine (particularly one that cost about $400). A needle tensioner might be a better idea.
    The tube vise seems like a good idea, but is clumsy and allows the tube to spin while it is tightened. The previous design was better in theory but wouldnt hold a tube tight. A guillotine vise seems like the best solution.
    The power adapter is small and low profile, but not a standard attachment. Adding an adapter works, but then whats the point of the small low profile plug?

I think this could be a great machine, but I think Nin needs to stick with one design and perfect each part of it, rather than changing so many parts for each new generation of machine. Test them. Then test them more. Figure out what works well, stick with it and improve upon it.

Using the machine:
    The balance is great, it has to be, there is almost nothing there! I would imagine if you were to use it with metal tubes you would feel like there was nothing on the end of it.
    It's reasonably quiet. Not as quiet as a Swiss for example but quieter than a dragonfly that is set with a lot of give. It does have a fair amount of vibration, in reality it probably isnt that much, but with such a light machine I think you can feel it more.
    Lining is alright. Mine sprayed ink like an airbrush no matter the speed or needle depth i used. Aside from that, my lines were clean and crisp (i used long taper 5's and 7rs), but be prepared to apply some pressure. This took a few minutes to get used to. The stroke is just a little too short for what I like (though I have seen it advertised as 3.5mm it seemed shorter). Lining and grey wash is what I wanted this machine for. It can pack color. But I have machines I would prefer to use for this task.
    It cleans up easy and fast, but the sharp points will catch and maybe tear whatever you clean it with.

I let my boss take one for a few days... I'm interested to see what he thinks of it. He saw them at the Berlin convention and was really excited about them when he came back. I told him I already bought 2 but was waiting for them to ship.

I guess these are like any other machine. Either you like them or you don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird, was I the only one that received a cord with mine? It came with a matching anodized 1/8" phono plug so I wouldn't need a heavy adapter. I ended up replacing the stiff cable though for Eikon soft cable.
    The rubber band holder is a trick to do as is the vise, but in the end minor annoyances. Hopefully Nins next version will be kink free. Needle runners might be a good setup for these. Hey Hammer, have you the sideways play on the armatures on yours? That's my biggest gripe really. The whole point of a slider is to create linear travel and both the design of using a round piston and it being too small in diameter keep it from attaining that, at least at the nipple end.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the one i had came with a cord to.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any sideways play, no.

Mine came with cables too, but they are huge (but nice looking) and defeat the purpose of such a small machine. And if I am using several machines, including the shift, I would have to switch cables, and who wants an extra cable laying around while you're working.
    The adapter isnt heavy, it just shouldn't have to be that way I feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    what i dont care for is the rubber bands go around and have to lay around the bearing casing... why is that? doesnt make sence to me, i used it again today and yes it does what it needs to do but i just dont like it, not for me... im gonna want to trade this, please no coils for i dont touch them. also i do want a good brand rotary for the shift, please no junk... yes this is brand new, i have put 2 hours on it just to see if i would like it... I AM NOT HAPPY with what they did...

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I just finished a tribal halfsleeve, I figured it was a good chance to try the Rotar at lining. And it kinda sucked for it. Used a medium 5rl. Yes it has a pretty punchy hit and the lines flew in easy on one pass but lord it spit a lot and pulled ink up the tube soaking my machine in black. Had to dip every 3" of line. Luckily I bag and seal my machines so I just let it go til I finished. It also just sounds angry at liner speed with a lot of vibration that made it harder to keep steady lines. I'm definately much happier with it at lower rpms. Just spent 1/2 hour cleaning the thing lol.