Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Direct Drive Rotary Spits Ink Out Tip

I recently acquired a Roy Richardson direct drive rotary. When I run it, (at about 4volts) and dip it into ink, the ink spatters and spits out the TIP (not up the tube like some dragonfly problems).

Anyone have a direct drive rotary? How do you keep this from happening? Am I bending the needle bar too much/not enough? Not enough rubber bands? Too many? Any Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    for lining or shading

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When i had that machjne i ran the needles straight and but the rubber bands up higher towards the motor or they tend to bust. I think if you notched the motor plate on each side pretty far in as the frame permits (which i have seen others of this type do)you then use one standard rubber band wrapped twice or one of those thick wide n short rc plane rubber bands once. This helps to keep the bar from going side to side to much wich is causeing the ink spit. some of these machines will have a flat thick piece of metal shaped like a u channel screwed to the front of the plate so the needle rides in the middle of the grooveThis only allows a little bit of play as to not bind the needles/bar up. If you notice dan the rotary mans frames he has around round shaft going from his motorcan to his chuck.This allows him to rap the rubber band twice close to the needle bar as he stated on the forum to control the sway of the needle to somewhat get it going straight.I think his desighn is great as it's simple,works and puts the weight forward.But i do notice that with directdrive roterys they favor large mags to keep the the needles down with little play(weight) and small liner needle groupings with fitted round tip(less skin resistance and keeps the needle in one place as it exits tip.
    Also dont stick the needles to far past the tip as it has no guide and support which will cause it jump,spit ink more. I hope I have helped a bit.If you done't like that front motor plate you could always get a new plate made with notches cut in so the center area were the rubber bands will wrap will be the same as the barrel thickness.If you get the straight plate style you can get 3 sets of notches in it so you can have some tension adjustment for differnet needles. It does have a excelent motor and chuck and would be very easy to mod it that way and sell your plate to recoup funds.
    Last edited by slicksteel; 12-28-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added more

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried flipping the needle bar? I know a lot of people had similar issues with the N2 and that solved it for most, not the same set up I know but worth a try.

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, Michael - thanks for your detailed response!

I'm not sure I could sell that plate - it's so cool! I'd like to keep the machine as it is if I can. I was using it to line with, and had one standard 'tattoo machine rubber band' wrapped twice around the plate to keep the needle in place. The needle goes back and forth almost as wide as the tube opening itself. I've thought about taking a video of it. Doesn't do a lot at the bottom, but I'm not sure that I'd trust it with 3's and delicate lettering. It DOES move a bit, but I don't think I'd notice with a 7 round or larger.

I might try Limey's suggestion of flipping the needle upside down and giving that a go first. Do I still put a bend in the needle if I do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd start with just enough bend to counteract the tension of your bands and take it from there.

What does Roy suggest the working range for the motor is?
    Last edited by The Limey; 12-30-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He suggested to me not to go over 8 unless you dont like the em(lol) 4 to 6 volts. that motor is realy powerful with a long voltage range and can push 44 mags easy.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    i have this same probelm only thicker pigments always come out the top of the tube... i have tried tighter rubber bands , bending the needle bar out? does anyone else have this problem? what can i do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcicada View Post
    i have this same probelm only thicker pigments always come out the top of the tube... i have tried tighter rubber bands , bending the needle bar out? does anyone else have this problem? what can i do?
    You could always try Needle Runners which stabilise your needles and block the tube at the same time.
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcicada View Post
    with what type of machine?