Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dan Kubin.Cranker Review. In full...

One of my Dan Kubins arrived today, thanks to onechance,,,,(other is with Customs nobodys fault)...
    Here it is...Picture 011.jpg..Machine has a nice bit of weight about it, very solid build and quality welds...frame geo is spot on and runs just above a whisper.... Full Review will follow...
    Last edited by skinmech; 03-11-2012 at 08:39 AM.

Knows Whats Up! thesmokingmirror's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting my second one from DiamondDave in a few days Such a solid machine!

3. Thanks pinkfro thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I finally got time do do this Review, and these Builds justice...See http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthre...Usual-Suspects for pictures of the Machines.I ordered a Blued 4mm Adjustable Cranker from Dan (368USD or £278 inc Tax) Prices include Shipping..I added this to the 3.0 mm Black and White Cranker I got from onechance (trade)..

As usual, I am not associated with the company, in any way. This is my impartial view based on my experience, and may not reflect your ability to get the most out of the Machine.http://dankubin.com/custom-rotary-machines/

Whats in the Box..Machine is well wrapped, and included is a good size tube of Tri-Flow Lube a Hex/Allen key, an Instruction Sheet. First thing you notice is the Weight and Solid, and I mean Solid in an Industrial sense of the word, built machine. Beautifully balanced, and almost simple in it's design, no bad thing, means there is less for me to break. I opted for the Clippy version,but,RCA is available.

How Does it Work..Operation is like the design, simple, dial in anywhere from high 4's (Volts) to low 6's (Volts) and anything you require, with the model of Cranker you have, will be in that powerband...Its as simple as that..

Setting your needle depth is easy
    , as the Vice provides excellent grip, and your elastic band is held in place with 2 intentionally placed securing screws.

How Does it Perform..With little or no give factor, it is up to the user to determine how this machine performs..In a word, I would say Faultless....I really haven't any thing negative to say about any of these Builds, honestly.The stroke is solid, and punchy, runs just above a whisper, and the weight of the machine is more comforting than cumbersome.....I don't know how long the White Paint will last, but, thats about all...

What Can it Do..Well I know the 4mm Cranker can Line like a dream at 8.0v's, why, because, I dialled in 4.8v's on my Eikon pre-set 1, then I dialled in 8.0v's for my Coil...And hooked up the Cranker, and never pressed pre-set 1....So I ran it blissfully at 8.0v's, and This is the Best Lining Machine, including Coils, that I have EVER ran out of the Box. I don't suggest you run at above 6.2v's, as it operates and Lines exactly the same, I checked with Dan and the motors are rated to 10v's. So plenty of Power, if you ever need it in these Machines. Lining is effortless, and this was a textured 11rl, one pass, solid and consistent, no ink splutter and will be great for fine detailing.The 3mm Cranker performs shading without any problems, and fine lining, probably be used, as suggested for B&G work... I know it handles mags, so I loaded up an 18 Round Shader, was like using a Sharpie, nice slow movements, created a solid one pass fill, no trauma...I couldn't ask for any more.

Summary..Dan suggests the power band with as 5-6volts, I would push that up to 6.5v's,but will depend on the individual, needle groupings and the job at hand..

My Opinion.. Simply put, probably the Best Machines I have ever used.....If you like Rotaries without any gimmicks, bells or whistles, and like simple Machines that will do exactly as the Builder says...Get one of these...These will sit beside my Rotaryworks and Bishop, I prefer Rotaries without any give, if you are the same, and don't have any of these, you may be missing out, and not reach your full potential...10 out of 10 for everything, plus like most Builders on here Dan is a nice Dude to deal with, and answers any questions asked...Would I buy another ??? I don't need to as the 4mm and 3mm will cover anything I throw at it, should you buy one ???....If you like no-give Rotaries, buy one, if you don't buy one anyway, you owe it to yourself...
    Last edited by skinmech; 03-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.

5. Thanks caglakhan, Sekt thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    well i must say thats one cracking review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Skinmech I do (watching star wars too much). You can tell Dan has thought carefully about this machine. The give system is interesting in that you can add a little hard washer, which has a shoulder, into the arm, by taking off the nut and o-ring, and this results in zero give. using only the o-ring results in a tiny but perfect amount of give. I'm using t-tech, and the whole system is like an AK47, its a pleasure to use =]

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep it has "minimal" give, and for that reason, and that reason only I would class it as a no give machine....I don't want people think this is a conventional "give " system machine, because it isn't..Just my opinion,but, it is a very special machine,anyone who has one will know what I mean.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if they are all the same but mine has adjustable stroke from 3mm -5mm . pretty quick and easy to adjust too

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ohhhh ive got a cranker coming....no doubt a addiction to a new builder will be thrust upon my poor soul!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    great review,cant wait to get one myself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered one a few days ago, lime green with purple parts....
    Must....
    Have....
    Patience......

13. Like Snaponspeed, graveghoul liked this post.