Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nicely done tattoo! Ya gotta love that pepper. I'm sure the tattoo looks darker to the naked eye than in the pic, hence the light sienna mountain look.
    I'm a big fan of messing light source around in traditional work, believing that old school is not to be studied for realism.

We will see a hell of a lot more of these solid tattoos when artists reach for a rotary.

Adam's machines are best rotary eye candy I've seen. So is his unique style.

Keep up the great work lenert...well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn fine job.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shipsandeagles View Post
    Very nicely done tattoo! Ya gotta love that pepper. I'm sure the tattoo looks darker to the naked eye than in the pic, hence the light sienna mountain look.
    I'm a big fan of messing light source around in traditional work, believing that old school is not to be studied for realism.

We will see a hell of a lot more of these solid tattoos when artists reach for a rotary.

Adam's machines are best rotary eye candy I've seen. So is his unique style.

Keep up the great work lenert...well done.
    Thanks a lot man..! ,)

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Mikeadamstattoo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad you like it man!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Super clean love the whip shading. Share your thoughts on how you set up your machines and needles please.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned to do this style years ago, I was taught to use a slightly spread flat 6. The hand movement is a little tricky...it's sort of a whip shade; but the machine is almost 90 degrees like a lining position, and the whip movement is like when you are whipping off a thick line, to get the progression from darker to lighter you make your whips closer together(for example pretend this symbol @ is the solid fill this symbol . the whip pepper and this symbol | the needle. A whip from the solid would look like: @|....... to get that darker you start the next whip around the starting point of the first like: @|..|..... as you shade further out you increase that space for lighter like: @|..|....|......| you can make the shading pattern consistent or random for different effects. I hope that makes some sense to those wondering. Hanging out the needle a lot so you don't really pack too in much ink is almost mandatory.

That's how I learned that type of shading, Lenert may have a slightly different approach to it. Once you figure out the mechanics you can tweak little things to fit what you like; such as angle, needle hangout etc. But I gave the exact start point for learning it the same as I was taught. But the needle is a slightly spread flat, if you haven't ever used a flat take care not to linger because it will cut a trench super quick, the spread helps prevent that somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like
    love it my co-worker will be froffing when he sees this

Post Thanks / Like
    the tattoo looks awesome! not a big fan of traditional stuff, but clean work for sure. the only thing that catches my eye is the direction the train is facing. might just be me, but wouldnt it look more aesthitically pleasing if it were facing forward? i am by no means an expert, just my personal opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is fantastic in my opinion. I cant see anything to fault. I would be a happy man if I could pepper shade half as good as that.

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice!! id'e love to learn how to do whip shading like that.. very clean...