Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Extending Hawk plunger length

I recently purchased a Hawk, and even with the needle hang set as long as possible, it still doesn't stick out enough as I like when lining, or picking away at fine details with a round shader.

Has anyone messed around with slightly extending the length of the plunger, in order to extend needle hang? If so, what did you use to do this, and did you have good results?

I only need about an extra 1mm of length

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    One idea I had was to put a tiny dab of silicone on then end of the plunger. If no one replies, I'l probably try that

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a thunder if you want more throw.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that's probably the best option asA, thanks. I just picked this Hawk (original) up used recently. I'm really diggin it, except for the short stroke length. Maybe I'll sell it and use the money to buy the Thunder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by studio88 View Post
    One idea I had was to put a tiny dab of silicone on then end of the plunger. If no one replies, I'l probably try that
    If you just want it to hang out more and didn't mind that the needle might not fully retract then that might work.
    or buy a Thunder

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'm probably going to buy the Thunder, but from what I've been reading you need to also use the Hawk power supply with it. Right now Unimax says that the PU2 works with the Thunder (has jump-start chip) but that the PU1 with jumps start chip is "coming soon". I'd rather not have to buy the more expensive PU2.

Can anyone confirm if it works with the "old" PU1 that's for sale now, so I don't have to wait for the new one?

Post Thanks / Like
    And one more issue: I have a wireless foot pedal from Critical. The receiver for it has the standard 1/4" phono plug connector you find on most tattoo power supplies. I notice the hawk foot pedal uses an RCA connector. I wonder if I convert the Critical wireless receiver to RCA (using a simple adapter) if it will work with the Hawk power supply? Because I've grown used to the wireless pedal, woudl suck to have to use the hawk pedal.

And furthermore it says the hawk power supply is "momentary" meaning when you press the pedal, the machine stays on until you press it again. That blows. Is there a way around that???

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't seem to be any way round the on off, but I ran my critical like that so it suited me.
    I have a PU1, the newest version and that does jump start the thunder.
    You could just try the kick-start cable with your critical. It does work. Just not as well as using the proper psu

Post Thanks / Like
    If you undo the front of the hawk there is a very small alankey holding the push rod in place undo and pull it out a little you might get that little more throw. If you want to pull it a part totally i'll tell yoi where all the alan key grub screws are otherwise you can do loads of damage to the wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Right on, thanks for the info everyone.

I ordered a Thunder with PU2. Also ordered the jump start cord, can't wait to try it all out.

I will still extend the plunger on the original Hawk just for grins too