Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mabuchi motor quality

We have been hearing this debate over Mabuchi motors and other manufactures for some time, and I have stood by my choice to use Mabuchis. I have stated before that I tested European made motors along with the Japanese motors in my original machine design by running them for hundreds of hours and the Mabuchi machine ran for 1000 hours and I stopped there......the others had shown excessive bearing wear and did not run as long.....but the Mabuchi motor showed no wear after the 1000.

My tests were in real tattoo machines hooked up with a spring load and run on a stand at a constant voltage.

Proof of the quality.

....today I received a machine to "tune up." It was one of my very early machines built and sold in early 2005.....I started my Linear Series machines back in 2004.
    I always get excited when an old machine comes in just to see how things held up over time...

This thing has been so used that the anodized finish is worn thru in many places and faded from constant wipe downs and the threads on the stainless vise screw are worn mostly off. The motor is so very heavily corroded and rusted and the thing was dirty as hell. Why people don't maintain their equipment is beyond me......

The motor bearing was dry and slightly noisy but the shaft does not display any looseness from wear. The connector is a phono jack where the backend of the machine is so worn from the artist missing the hole that it is funny.....

After cleaning it up and lubing it.....it runs great. Since the motor is so corroded, I am replacing it along with upgrading the connector.....and a new style glide as well.

So what I'm trying to say.....those of you that say that Mabuchi motors are crap......the proof is.... they are a fantastic product!

2. Thanks Vinoshitto thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mabuchi motor on a direct drive rotary and I have had the machine for going on 12 years at least and it has yet to fail. Still purrs right along with not one hint of giving up it has to have well over 6000 hours of use on it.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderland...exactly! Good stuff.

I had a guy ripping me on Monday about my machines not using Swiss motors.....wish I could have reached right thru the phone and grabbed him at his CAL cell#! Then this machine comes in and other than it being a dirty thing....,I just smiled after checking it out.

Go Mabuchi!

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdadio View Post
    Wonderland...exactly! Good stuff.

I had a guy ripping me on Monday about my machines not using Swiss motors.....wish I could have reached right thru the phone and grabbed him at his CAL cell#! Then this machine comes in and other than it being a dirty thing....,I just smiled after checking it out.

Go Mabuchi!
    Gotta love when customers want to teach us how to do our own job or how to put together our own designed product.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fkirons View Post
    Gotta love when customers want to teach us how to do our own job or how to put together our own designed product.
    You know that there will always be those that "know more, or know better" that is why they never get anything accomplished, or take the dive and put them selves out there.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Nedz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am quite happy with the Mabuchi motors I use but it will be interesting to compare the MR01 and the MR02 in the work place.

stigma I build Tattoo Machines
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mabuchi motor on the NeoTats is a very good motor and it is the best choice for machines that do not have to be small and light ,but for us it is big and heavy, this is the reason why we here at Stigma do not use this motor and I believe also other manufacturers as well. We tried many types of motors but we could not find anything better than the Maxon, some of them are not of good quality, some are not strong enough, or they are big and heavy for our machines. I wish we could find a small and strong motor of good quality for only 2~3 $, this way we could offer our machines for about 100$ cheaper and still make the same profit , but I am afraid there is no such a motor.
    Maybe we will make some bigger machines in the future for the artists that do not mind about size and weight and for a better price and then we see how it goes. So we are forced somehow to use the expensive Maxon motor , we really hope that we can find a good alternative because the Maxon motor is overpriced.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello ARTEMIS, i thinbk don realy have a good alternative at MAXON or FAULHAVER that u wanna sty under 20 mm diamters motors, this why they sofucking expencive...

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines specialtechnique's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...i love my bizarre version 1.
    My personal email: [email protected].

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines specialtechnique's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    artemis, you should just BUY the maxon company!!!! hook us all up!! :]
    My personal email: [email protected].

12. Like Jack Steel liked this post.