Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread. She can charge whatever. I was just shocked.

2. Like Bruce Gulick liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still wondering what size needles your using, what ink, and if you are using any give...

Post Thanks / Like
    $150 is pretty standard here in Edmonton, its a town full of oil money. Anything under $125 usually gets you an apprentice or a kitchen magician. That being said though you can check out my stuff www.facebook.com/bombshelltattoo.ca if you want!
    She is quite tanned, but her skin just feels thicker than normal. Maybe a hot damp towel around it for half an hour before we start? Has anyone tried anything like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sekt, I am using Eikon pre made (not bugpin) 7 curved mags, 11 curved mags, 7 round liner. Colour packers (neo tats) are set to approx 3ml stroke length and liner (micky sharpz) is set 1.5 to 1.8ml. Grey shading (neo tat) is set to 2 to 2.5ml stroke length.
    all Eternal inks. I tried reverting back to Intenze for some of the blues as it is a thinner ink than the eternal but it was exactly the same result.
    Neo Tat machines, (no elastics) approx 11.5 volts, Micky sharpz with 2 elastics runs at 6.7 to 7 volts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The tattoos you're doing show promise but that's nowhere near $150 an hour work...you're still more or less an apprentice level tattooer at two years, no matter who you are or what your artistic ability is. Just ask any veteran tattooer, at two years, no matter what you think you have only dipped your toes in the great ocean of tattooing.

A big part of tattooing is recognizing and adapting to different skin types, which is obviously not happening here. Charging someone $150 an hour while you scratch your head is bad for the entire business, not to mention your own reputation.

Here's a good way to determine your hourly value: What does a teacher with two years experience make per hour? An auto mechanic? A dental assistant?

Do you think your time is worth more than theirs? Is your job more difficult? More crucial?

What is "standard" in Edmonton, or what any other tattooer charges per hour should have nothing to do with what you charge. View each job as its own thing, and each client as a unique person with their own challenges/budget/time etc. Keep it flexible like that and you won't need to feel bad about overcharging anyone, because you won't be.
    Last edited by Bruce Gulick; 06-12-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: (got exchange rate wrong)

Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce, I do understand that completely, however 150 is your average, base rate, it was the rate that was set for me by the store owner (I was terrified by this) the day I finished my apprenticeship (may 2011) and I simply have not altered it when I have moved shop as it was also their base entry level rate.
    Anything detailed, or that I deem above my level that I want to try for a first time (the tiger or orchids and frogs for example) were done completely free of charge. and I refuse to take on anything that I feel is above me (portraits etc)

I know what you are saying about USD prices though, was looking at getting a tattoo by Scotty Munster and I was SHOCKED to see that he only charges $125 an hour! I could not fathom how an artist of such skill is charging so little, but I guess that is the difference between Canada and the US. I know when I was working in Australia for a few months over christmas I was only charging $80 an hour there (their shop rate). I think its really country specific.
    I know the "tattoo school" here in edmonton has a base rate of $65 an hour for their students first tattoos, and $100 an hour thereafter. It really does depend on your locality for what you pay. Dont get me started on your drinks prices! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Miss Elizabeth, you should talk to DiarrheaSuitcase about charging lol. I think his rate is about $2 per square inch or 90 for 4-7 hours ! But not everyone has the balls to do what he and his wife do down in Costa- amazing guy. But I think its unfair to talk about your experience, and what you charge, as the thread is about packing.
    I had this problem where colour was not going in, and after a while I began to hammer in the colour! I mean I leaned on the machine ! I wasn't getting any damage either, so I stepped up the pressure. don't be afraid to hurt clients! Keep getting harder until you see weeping (not blood), and then back off a bit. Use curved mags for delicate shading, but try round shaders for packing, and less needle group if you have to.

We are mostly in the habit of using a certain pressure, and going outside that feels wrong. I had a woman in with psoriases, and slightest touch she bleeds badly (ankle). So I had to build lines so gently I was hardly touching the skin- like a feather, and this was enough to build lines. She couldn't take anything like a single pass, or she'd need a transfusion. So everyone is different, and I think you need to put your shoulder into it!

9. Like Bruce Gulick liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is more to a needle then just being bugpin or not. Your needle diameter and TAPER can make a lot of difference on tougher skin. I suggest you do some research on that before you start blaming everything else then your own knowledge on your materials...
    Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brat, Like I said what I am using are STANDARD eikon, not their bugpin, I am well aware there are differing tapers or textured needles, but these are not what I am using.

Sekt, thank you very much for offering helpful and friendly advice on this matter. It is with help from each other, that we as artists can grow and learn.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry off topic again...Scotty Munster work is just amazing $125 is dirt cheap. I'll pay comfortably 200-250 for his caliber of work.
    One of my artists is getting tattooed by him at the Atlanta Tattoo Expo
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com