Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Skin not taking ink?

Hi guys, I am currently working on a sleeve for a client, she is around 23 and quite physically fit, no obvious skin conditions or stretchmarks.
    My problem is that her skin simply does not take ink well. I have tried adjusting the needles out further, tried stretching more than normal, tried a different brand of ink (I normally use only eternal inks) but NOTHING will make her skin take ink better.
    Its so bad that a 3 inch section that would normally take me around an hour or 2 takes me 3 or 4 because I have to keep going over it. Not to the point of carving it up obviously, but still far more than I would with any other customer. I have seen 3 out of 4 of her sittings so far, nothing has scarred and everything has healed up fine, but not as detailed as I would like as you have to really pound in the colour over and over.
    I am wondering if perhaps she is dehydrated? Or if there is any kind of lotion I can recommend for a week or so prior to getting her next sitting? Her skin feels tough and thick, but is not visibly dry.
    It is upsetting because it is a beautiful sleeve that we designed, but it is now taking waaaay too long, and I genuinely feel bad charging her for the amount of time it is taking.
    Anyone encountered anything like this? what would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I wouldn't charge for extra time if I felt it was somehow to do with my technique, equipment, or whatever, cause my setup is not her fault. But what machine are you using? direct drive? How many needles? Mag or RS?, bugpins? or #12's?

Post Thanks / Like
    What's your give like?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of things that can work but slowing down when you're lining should be half the effort. Thinner inks can also make a difference, I know by experience that with certain skin types Eternal lining black can be harder to get in. Tougher skin basically means it needs more force to be punctured, so changing just one of your variables can make a big difference. Think ink, needles, machine setup or "skin prep". I personally would chose to change a variable you control. If you think preparing the skin would do the trick for you instead of changing your setup, try using warm water in your squeeze bottle and/or massaging the skin more while your working.
    Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using original neo tats, 7 liner and 7 and 11 curve mags for the shading. I normally run my colour packer anywhere from 10 to 11.5 volts when colour packing, but on her even 12v just does not get the colour solid. I have the long stroke for colour packing (3.5?) and I usually set the needle about .5 back into the tube, and for grey shading I use my standard stroke with the needle almost flush.
    And yeah, her last sitting took 2 and a half hours, and I only charged her $125. I am normally $150 an hour, but I feel that this should have been almost finished by now, and we are only less than half way through.
    I dont feel it is my machines or needle setup as I have never encountered such issues with getting ink into skin on a regular body part. Its not like its someones rib-cage or stomach, its just an arm. I dont understand why I am having such issues, its like tattooing a rhino I swear!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try the warm water in the squeeze bottle, I have never heard of that before but it makes sense and at this point I will try anything!

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Elizabeth View Post
    I am using original neo tats, 7 liner and 7 and 11 curve mags for the shading. I normally run my colour packer anywhere from 10 to 11.5 volts when colour packing, but on her even 12v just does not get the colour solid. I have the long stroke for colour packing (3.5?) and I usually set the needle about .5 back into the tube, and for grey shading I use my standard stroke with the needle almost flush.
    And yeah, her last sitting took 2 and a half hours, and I only charged her $125. I am normally $150 an hour, but I feel that this should have been almost finished by now, and we are only less than half way through.
    I dont feel it is my machines or needle setup as I have never encountered such issues with getting ink into skin on a regular body part. Its not like its someones rib-cage or stomach, its just an arm. I dont understand why I am having such issues, its like tattooing a rhino I swear!
    wow tattooing 2 years and charging 150$ an hour. Good for you. You must be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of needles do you use btw?
    Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a solid 15 years in and charging $150 lol.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

Post Thanks / Like
    just curiouse but does she tan??only reason i asked is i had twin sisters come in and get tatted both lower back same design,and one of them tans alot on a tanning bed..and when i did her tattoo after her twin sisters.i felt a big difference tattooing her,skin alot tougher,took longer to work on had to go slower..