Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Excessive Halo Vibrations Resolved!

I got my Halo back from Gaston and sure enough he needed to tighten up the slide for me. It works a lot better w/ noticeably less vibration and less play in the armature pin! I've tried the 3.2, 3.6, and 4mm stroke lengths now and I think the 3.6 is definitely the best all arounder for me. I liked the 3.2 better for blending and shading and even for easy lining jobs (fat people's calves), even less vibrations. You definitely get a bit more punch from the longer stroke wheels though which is invaluable to me when lining tough areas especially w/ bigger groupings. I think this machine definitely runs better, or smoother anyway, w/ the shorter stroke wheels though. Even after the Halo was repaired it still produces a good deal of vibrations w/ the longer stroke wheels when you have it cranked up, but at least it's bearable/usable now even w/ disposable tubes. I still haven't used the 4mm wheel since the repair. I did however use it w/ both disposables and SS when lining w/ the 3.6 and I'd say the difference is NIGHT & DAY! The extra weight really helps the balance, even though the Halo is super light. And it definitely does wonders for killing vibes. I honestly wouldn't care to use the Halo for a long stroke liner w/o SS. But along w/ the extra weight of the SS I think this is probably the finest machine that I've ever used for lining, or anything else for that matter. I'm still holding off for my full review til I clock some more hours on it. If things keep up like this I'll be selling most of my machine collection to help pay for some more Halos. I always liked the idea of having 4 or 5 machine heads set up w/ interchangeable motors of different stroke lengths at my disposal. I just didn't find what I needed for one reason or another w/ other brands. Maybe I'll keep it down to 3 or 4 machines in anticipation of the next Spektra incarnation, eager to try the Vortek!
    Last edited by PAWNJOB; 09-10-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been lining with mine every day, And I love it. The only problem I've had is the needle bar pin pulled out pretty much right away. I just superglued it back in.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PAWNJOB View Post
    I got my Halo back from Gaston and sure enough he needed to tighten up the slide for me. It works a lot better w/ noticeably less vibration and less play in the armature pin! I've tried the 3.2, 3.6, and 4mm stroke lengths now and I think the 3.6 is definitely the best all arounder for me. I liked the 3.2 better for blending and shading and even for easy lining jobs (fat people's calves), even less vibrations. You definitely get a bit more punch from the longer stroke wheels though which is invaluable to me when lining tough areas especially w/ bigger groupings. I think this machine definitely runs better, or smoother anyway, w/ the shorter stroke wheels though. Even after the Halo was repaired it still produces a good deal of vibrations w/ the longer stroke wheels when you have it cranked up, but at least it's bearable/usable now even w/ disposable tubes. I still haven't used the 4mm wheel since the repair. I did however use it w/ both disposables and SS when lining w/ the 3.6 and I'd say the difference is NIGHT & DAY! The extra weight really helps the balance, even though the Halo is super light. And it definitely does wonders for killing vibes. I honestly wouldn't care to use the Halo for a long stroke liner w/o SS. But along w/ the extra weight of the SS I think this is probably the finest machine that I've ever used for lining, or anything else for that matter. I'm still holding off for my full review til I clock some more hours on it. If things keep up like this I'll be selling most of my machine collection to help pay for some more Halos. I always liked the idea of having 4 or 5 machine heads set up w/ interchangeable motors of different stroke lengths at my disposal. I just didn't find what I needed for one reason or another w/ other brands. Maybe I'll keep it down to 3 or 4 machines in anticipation of the next Spektra incarnation, eager to try the Vortek!
    Hey Bro. Glad you got the machine back and is back to work. The Spektra has stronger down force that up force which is achieved by how each StrokeWheel is balance. This is why the machine color or line with ease. What you notice in your hands is the torque of the needle strike. I recommend 1.25 wrath or Eikon Griffin tubes, but weight on the tube or extra chunkiness to those who enjoy long strokes liner rotaries machines ran at high speed solves the issue.

The Vorteks is in the works but no near to completion You guys will be the first ones to get notified
    Last edited by fkirons; 09-12-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BambiKhan View Post
    I've been lining with mine every day, And I love it. The only problem I've had is the needle bar pin pulled out pretty much right away. I just superglued it back in.
    Weird bro that piece is actually pressed by pressure and secured with locktite thread lock extra strength. Most likely it wasn't pushed all the way in or forgot the locktite my bad!

Post Thanks / Like
    I signed up for this forum looking for a rotary to outline with, and read alot of reviews on alot of machines. My attention was drawn to the overwhelming "buzz" about these machines. Even checked the years of tattooing from alot of the people posting knowing they were probably lining as fast as I do. Took the dive and took advantage or the labor day special and purchased a 3.6. Out of the box no adjusting or anything outlined two smaller tattoos effortlessly, then busted out a 1/4 sleeve lining project on my piercer with it later that day. Played around with the give during that time and i think i like it better straight outta the box balls to the walls. A few days later I did some smaller delicate lettering with swirls with a 5l and a 3. Ran a few strokes and switched back to a coil,felt like I was going to filet the lines open. I think it was a weight issue for me. Did a piece this morning with lettering small again and put a new skateboard bearing over the adjuster and nailed it. I think this is definetly an all around machine to do everything with minimal adjustments. I think the support from Gaston on this sight is phenominal and the opinions are legit, raw, and unadulterated. I purchased the 4.0, 3.2 rollers and havent really felt the need to even change them out. I would recommend this machine to anyone using a rotary that doesnt have one or to any one that hasnt used a rotary and looking to make an investment into rotaries. Excellent product, and feedback. Thanks

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone line with the give out quite a bit i felt like this was working better believe it or not on flabby areas like the back of the arm about 4 turns out or a little more. I have a whip as well and it hits alot like a coil and the spektra feels closer to that at like 4 ish turns out i just find it odd as the recomendations are only to slightly crack the give or 1.5 turn i know its a really personal thing but is anyone else doing the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got mine about 3 turns out when I line(3.6 stroke)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Oz View Post
    I've got mine about 3 turns out when I line(3.6 stroke)
    yeah opening the give a notch will help with penetration better. I use mine now with about one full turn out.
    Everyone is different. Some of our artists use it all the way stiff, no give as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok i got a 3.2 gonna get a 3.6 too, anyone tried a cutback shader set up 2.5? fast anyone using needle runners?

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about having the give all the way open almost(on disposable). Where other rotarys get sloppy I find my spektra still able to work nicely with it also for all you t tech users I took my spring out like Gaston recommended and the give works with t tech awesome you get a little less of the full range but it definatley works well I find with t tech one turn out is like 1.5 to 2 when I use disposable i thnk its probably that quicker down stroke that allows it to feel powerfull even with when the give is opened quite a bit

also the added bonus of t tech is the stainless grip you get the weight/vibration killing your looking for and the tubes are much easier to clean then a standard stainless tube and needle i also love being able to just set up one machine, be able to change strokes, amount of give and needles on the fly , i dont think tattooing gets much more efficient then that! love my spektra actually i better start calling it the halo, as there may be some confusion in the future as it looks there will be more that fall under the spektra name

you said you ordered a t tech grip and some cartridges didn't you Gaston? have you received them , what do you think?

ps: NEVER had any back flow on my t tech cartidges as some have said, if that is holding anyone back honestly dont worry about it i have never seen any ink at all come out the top of the cartridge. gone thru 10 boxes so far
    Last edited by joelhague; 09-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.