Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Diablo Swiss Rotary Machine Review

diablo.jpg

A couple weeks ago Friction offered me a Diablo rotary machine in return for writing an honest review here and on facebook and I accepted. I was super surprised to receive both versions of the Diablo and also the new adjustable Storm..I was leaving for an east coast tattooing trip so I would have a chance to try them out. Danny Matlock took the Diablo Kami (same basic machine with a Japanese motor)..he's going to have a review of that one up soon, and I'll do another for the Storm A 250.

I already use two regular Storms with Danny's mod and I love the hell out of them..as I've said before they would be more than enough to have a tattoo career with-and it's tricky to review another machine when that's your state of mind. And if you've used a variety of rotaries you're bound to see the merits of having a few types, so for the sake of this review I'm not going to mention other machines that the Diablo has similarities to, and judge it on its own merits. If I had only ever used coil machines and the Diablo Swiss was handed to me, this is what I'd write:

This thing is sexy. It's got the look of an all-business machine..there's nothing superfluous or random, nothing added to make it look modern or retro or flashy or anything, but somehow it does manage to look all those things. There's subtle design touches like the small fins that protrude from the back of the motor housing, or the mirror-image design of the "give" chamber and tube vise supports..if you fuzz your eyes you can certainly see the "Diablo" they're referring to. It's clean and snappy.

It has a red finish that reminds me of the way speedboats looked in the 70s..fast and no-nonsense. Every part of it has an immediately apparent function, and that's very appealing. It feels like you could drop it and it would be fine.

The Diablo weighs 3.5 oz. which seems like close to the perfect weight for me, and balances well with disposable tubes. When I set up the machine and hold it by the tube it just feels right..not top-heavy like with coils, more like a precision engraving tool.

The triangular metal knob on the tube vise is easy to clean (not too many nooks and crannies though I wish the front was also a smooth surface). The triangle makes it easy to grasp between your thumb and first two fingers. and it has a very solid feel with no plastic parts.

The needle bar tensioner works exactly as it appears to work, the screw itself is all metal and the tensioner arm is plastic..it has a small rubber wheel that starts to spin with the needle bar as you apply pressure via the screw. An elegant and *ahem* popular solution to what I consider to be a non-problem. I have never minded using rubber bands and luckily that's still an option on the Diablo. (More on this later..)

There is a RCA connection in the back, set exactly in the middle of the motor housing..an RCA cable is included if you need one.

There is a "give" system in the standard spring-in-chamber adjustable style. A hex nut connects a silver give knob..turn clockwise for less give (but not all the way or the piston can't move and the motor won't run..not sure if that does damage to the motor but it can't be a good thing). Turn it counter-clockwise for more and more give. All the way out and I'm pretty sure it won't leave a mark in skin, all the way in and it's an absolute beast.

The knob has three recessed grooves..I imagine these are to give it some "grip" but it's still pretty smooth. I'd prefer a knob with a few protruding ridges, especially when it's inside a machine bag and you're trying to turn it just exactly 1/4 turn with vaseline on your gloves. Or for that matter the same triangle that's on the tube vice. Luckily I don't tend to adjust it much once the machines are set up..if it's set up as a liner I back off about 1/2 a turn and leave it there. Coloring maybe a turn and a half. Grey shading maybe two turns. Beyond that it's technique, I think.."infinite adjustability" sounds better than it is in practice, but it is nice to have options.

The motor is a Maxon 12000 RPM beast. At 8 volts it absolutely hums, at 7 it cruises, and at 6 it whispers. I tend to use it at 8 for lining, 7.5 or so for thicker pigments, and 6.8-7.5 for thinner pigments and washes. Of course that's all dependent on the task at hand!

The Diablo has a 3.5 mm stroke, which again just feels right for most tasks. I don't mind a 4 mm stroke but in practice 3.5 is just dandy.

Which brings me to the fun part: how it feels when tattooing. In short it feels like an art tool. It does that "disappearing act" I love so much..when I'm tattooing I stop noticing the machine and I can just focus on making good tattoos. When I'm lining with it I used mostly bugpin 7 rounds and it let me make whisper-fine lines effortlessly. I used a regular 7 round it the lines were bold and crisp like a micron pen. It is a precision liner, without a doubt.

It is also a precision shader..I use mainly bugpin 15 magnums and the Diablo pushed them with ease..I can get good saturation color in a single pass and it still looks "painterly"..I have enough precision with the Diablo that I find myself drawing with it, even with a magnum. Again, it feels like an art tool. This is a Very Good Thing.

I use around 3-4 machines every session so it's hard to say if there's a difference in heal times vs other machines..though the difference between rotaries and coils is *amazing*. People have been overjoyed with how fast their new stuff is healing. More precision equals less pain and less trauma and it shows in the finished product.

Several clients also noticed the Diablo and mentioned how cool it looks..I had to agree! This may be a small consideration but I think it's important that clients notice and care about stuff like that. Especially in long term veterans that had ten plus years of coil abuse..they are so happy that the game has been upped!

If I had any complaints or concerns they would be few. I've used the Diablo with disposable tubes from Friction, Lucky Supply, Unimax, and Tatsoul and they all worked fine with the tensioner, though with Wrath tubes it's *very* close. Like, half a credit card between the top of the tube and the tensioner wheel. When that's the case it's easy enough to throw some rubber bands on and go, so it's no problem but it was kind of eyebrow-raising the first time. The adjuster knob could use a little more grip. It's a little louder than my other rotaries, but that's no doubt the 12000 RPM motor..it has a little vibration but with a soft grip disposable I don't notice it. That's about it.

The Diablo is a killer machine at a very good price. $400 can be made back in a single tattoo session and if you wanted it to be your only machine you could. It is super solidly built, runs like the wind, and it's easy on the eyes and hands.

Originality: 7/10 While it's a bold design there's nothing functionally new here..it's similar to quite a few (more expensive) machines and comparisons to the Dragonfly and Tattooed Pirate machines are inevitable. It is far from a clone, though.

Look: 9/10 Stylish and smooth

Feel: 9/10 Feels great tattooing, very much like a paintbrush and not at all like a jackhammer.

Sound: 8/10 Louder than my other rotaries but not annoying at all.

Value: 10/10 I'd say $400 is an absolute steal for a tool of this quality.

Durability: 9/10 Solid and well-manufactured..precision all the way through.

Longevity:________ I'll leave this blank for now but there's no reason to think it would wear out faster than any other machine..when it does I'll post its death date. Don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Bruce Gulick; 07-29-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    are those cast frames are machined?

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. Looks like a soli, well designed machine.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the FRAME are mold injection...

Junior Member Soldier Soul Tattoo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I received my diablo swiss and have used it on a couple of tattooos so far. It is very well balanced and the adjustable give makes this machine an incredibly versatile tool. I look forward to using this machine in the future as one of my mainstays. I like it so much, I may buy a couple more just to make sure I have one to back up the one I have. The more I use it, the more I like it, and it is well worth every nickel of the $400 price tag.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Nedz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you just not spend 450 dollars on a dragon fly.

7. Like Neo liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    a dragonfly for $450? Last place I looked at dragonflys wanted either $650 or $625...

http://www.nationaltattoo.com/category-s/1827.htm
    Last edited by Soldier Soul Tattoo; 11-06-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add link

Post Thanks / Like
    You can find one used for 400-450$ pretty easily.

10. Like Neo liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am going to spend the money, it's not going to be for something used that someone else didn't like...JMO

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Nedz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But basically this machine is a rip off of the dragon fly only under friction's banner same as the storm is a stealth so when they start making other copies are you asking us to support them. I have dealt with friction and I found them to be a reputable company but I am sure there was a thread here complaining about the storm. You would not spend your money on a Chinese copy of a dragon fly but you are willing to spend it on a knock just the same. Also taking a machine as payment for your review smacks a bit of prostitution your just saying to people send me your machines for free and I will write you a glowing review as payment.

Dragon fly put no patents on their machine so the market is wide open for abuse and there are at least 5 clone machines on the market at the moment none of the have improved on the design just changed the style of the body.

13. Like Neo liked this post.