Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Shouting" (ALL CAPS) in threads

So... I've gotten a few Private Messages from members asking if I could remind people of the no shouting rule. Sure, for some people, hitting the caps lock key makes it easier to type, as they don't have to think about which letters to capitalize - "Typing Cruise Control" - if you will.

For the majority of people however, messages and threads typed in ALL CAPS can be difficult to read, and it appears that someone is shouting.

I don't want to be a jerk and deliver infractions to members' accounts, nor do I want to give forum 'time-outs' or suspensions for something like this either. So, I asked my tech advisor to help me change one of the settings which will disable a message being typed in all capital letters.

See, guys? You ask, you get! (At least I try to deliver when I am able - and this was not a difficult feat). So, if you are a CAPS LOCK LUVR, sorry. You'll either have to type in all lower case letters, use capitals at the beginning of sentances, or deal with your 'all caps' messages being auto-corrected to lower case.

I know that some forums will give you an error if you type in all caps, and not let you post, but I tested ours, and it appears to simply auto-correct. Thankfully, it won't (or shouldn't) piss anyone off.

Thanks for being here, thanks for reading, and if you have problems with the forum, please let one of the staff know, as we are more than happy to help you out!

-Alie

P.S. I have allowed caps lock on a limited number of characters, as I realize that some words such as USA, USB, RCA and DARN should be able to be capitalized.

2. Like Joe Hinkle, The Limey liked this post.
    Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The throttle is set to 5 characters. You should still be able to emphasize simple cuss words in CAPS if you wish.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fuc- yes............good deal

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines
    Post Thanks / Like
    It works cuss this was in all caps......

Post Thanks / Like
    SHIT!!! did it work..lol
    VAGABOND JAY

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I mistakenly typed in all caps and not only did it let me post, you sent me a message asking me not to do that any more I do apologize I had no clue......but I'm not sure if the auto correct is working properly and just thought you want to know in case there is a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Bill, I'll have the Administrator check it out!

Post Thanks / Like
    really??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gravyray View Post
    really??
    Yeah, really! I signed in one day and was surprised to find SIX messages! Five were from people asking if I could please put an end to the 'yelling'.

Post Thanks / Like
    i jus cant understand it. i mean .........well.......its jus reading. one way the letters are small , the other they're big. i guees its the only way to tell context or intent with a typed conversation on some level. maybe i jus got bigger problems????