Subscribing to a thread.
Say, you asked a question, or maybe you answererd someone's question and you want to know what someone says next, or maybe there's a hot topic that you want to keep tabs on. You'll need to subscribe to the thread.

Go to the thread you are interested in and open it.

Once you are in the desired thread, look for 'Thread Tools' in the bar right above it. Click on the arrow to get the dropdown menu and choose 'Subscribe to Thread'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thread1.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	122

*Alternately, to UNSUBSCRIBE, when you click the dropdown menu in 'Thread Tools', you can choose 'Unsubscribe' if you don't care about that thread anymore.

On the next screen, look for the 'Notification Type' section. Click the dropdown (by hitting the little arrow) and choose which method you would like to be notified by.

When you have done that, click on the 'Add Subscription' button.

Name:	thread2.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	120

HOORAY! YOU'RE DONE! YOU'VE JUST SUBSCRIBED TO A THREAD!

Now, to check on your (hopefully) growing list of subscriptions, go to the top of the forum page. Click on 'Settings'. You will be taken to your 'User Control Panel'.

This is where it will eventually tell you which threads have responses in them already.

Name:	thread3.jpg 
Views:	745 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	121

Notice how mine says that there are no subscriptions with new posts? That's because nobody has followed up on anything I wrote in the particular thread I subscribed to yet.

Notice the area on the left? If you highlight 'List Subscriptions' and click on it, it will bring up a screen with more detailed descriptions of all of your subscriptions that you have subscribed to.

Name:	thread4.jpg 
Views:	738 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	119

Again, go INTO the thread and go to 'Thread Tools' to unsubscribe to that thread.

Sure, there's probably another way to do this that might be easier, but this is what works for me.

Hope that helps!
-Alie