Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind a well tuned coils sound even if its up there in volume but a loud sounding rotarys just has a annoying sick sound that gets on my nerves.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ssssshhhhhh were tattooing
    being an artist is about feeling completely inadequate...and then getting the fuck over it. self revelation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkocevar1 View Post
    Ssssshhhhhh were tattooing
    Lol, reminds me in my youth i once met a very cute girl at an ihop that was either seriously crazy or had tourettes. Couldn't stop saying "shssssh this is not a library!" in poorly voiced Indian phonetics....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Oz View Post
    Agreed! Once you get spoiled with quieter rotaries it's hard to go back, so noise is a working factor. Though a bit of sound can be a good thing...like a running diagnostic feedback of sorts, just like a coil, you can hear if it's doing what you want or if there are issues...
    i agree Sage, but every machine has his own noise: louder, quieter or no noise...i guess i´m training my ears to hear the needles hitting the skin...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely nice to have a machine that runs dead silent. My priority of course Is how well it does it's intended job, if it works perfectly AND it's silent hey frosting on the cake, but i can happily live with a tiny pleasing buzzing hum after years of loud coils. I think some rotaries need a bit of patience,for example I've noticed a recent change in a my HM Santa Maria, it's quieted down quite a lot now that it's broken in. It was very similar to a coil sound for a while, especially when i stepped on the gas. Great machine btw...
    I've noticed some higher quality machines are just a bit loud at first but take a dozen or so hours to seat themselves then they purr like kittens. Low quality machines just get louder and louder as they fall apart!!! lol

6. Like Tkocevar1 liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the next 10 years the builders will launch their quieter machines with mp3 sound, so we can choose wich sound we want to hear, coil, motor, Enya, or dolphins on the sea

Sent by the Devil using a vessel, one galaxy S2 and tapatalk 2

8. Thanks Vinoshitto thanked for this post.
    Like Jack Steel, Gabetexas liked this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines peezie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the first 2 posts were conservative actually. I think the machine sounds kind of messed up if you ask me lol. Clients would definitely feel uncomfortable hearing this machine in my opinion. This first picture shows the bottom which would've had a hinged door for easy access. With a turn of the spring loaded hex screw you can have a longer or shorter stroke depending how close you are to the center or edge of the angled cam.
    tattoo machine 3.jpg
    This picture shows how the piston assembly. It can be pushed down for adjustment with a hex key.
    tattoo machine 2.jpg
    Here is the angled cam which in essence is similar to a swash plate.
    tattoo machine 1.jpg
    Piston assembly rides on the angled cam and stroke length can also be adjusted through speed. Basically, the machine needs to be tuned to run properly. At full voltage with low tension on the piston assembly you get a lot of skipping. As I said, this concept has kicked the bucket and I did learn a lot through the process and hope anyone looking to develop something similar can learn something from this experience also.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Jack Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice stuff , but i think it's weird nobody said anything about changing the direction of the motor
    the windings on these types of motors to put them horizontal, so the axial play goes front to back
    in this design you'll never be able to get the hickups out of it , this design needs a brushless design with ballbearing shaft , not glidebearings like the most common maxons have ...
    just my 2cents!
    ps. looks cool though

Las Vegas or whatever city I happen to be in
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what you get when the hyper and dragonfly make a baby. I like this and hope you continue with it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    can't=finished by end of today, impossible=finished by end of week, out of your mind=already finished

Post Thanks / Like
    any news on it ?