Post Thanks / Like

Bishop heating up?

There's a brand new Bishop in our shop, that right out of the gate is heating up. My other machines don't heat up all that much, so I'm not sure if a little heat is normal (it was running at 8v, so that shouldn't be the problem) or if maybe the power supply is incompatible? It's running on a Lucky's Digital power supply. Or maybe we just got a wonky motor, and need to send it off to the good people of Bishop.

Anyone else get hot rotary?

Post Thanks / Like
    in my experience with new machines that heat up, even old ones. sometimes theres a issue with the binders slightly connecting/touching the frame body. sometimes it so slight you cant really see it, causes a short making the motor heat up.
    if your able to pull the motor from the frame hook it directly up to the PSU and turn on for a few minutes, see if it still heats up. if it does the motor is bad, if it dont then its a connection problem mostly likely in binders where the motor wires connect to the rca or binders directly.

hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eikonic, I Pm'd Franco, and here's what he had to say:
    Hello Amy, usually a brand-new rotary machine sometimes make it warm, but definitely not hot. If it is getting hot then you may need to send it back in for a repair, this may be partially due to the slide being too tight, it usually is a quick fix where we just take the slide out and sand it down a bit more to reduce the friction and tightness.

What you may try to do for a simpler solution is to just run the machine for an hour straight at 8 V with fresh drops of lube on the slide, after that, tattoo with the machine for a solid week and take notes from that point on as to if it is getting warm still.

Let me know how this goes, and also is there to contact us through our website email which is [email protected]

What a sweetie.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 Bishops and they both do the same. I can say that the slides are not to tight (Checked them) in fact they all move very freely with a little slop. I've removed the stay up springs. Spent Close to $400.00 on new Eikon ems 400, New clip cord, and foot switch. Guess what??? Still gets warm/hot. Just depends on how long you work with them. Mine get warm/hot within 1 hour running on 9-9.5 volts. I personally know 3 other people (One in my shop) that have them with the same issue.... (Just my opinion) Neo tat Vivace is a much better machine and cost less. I can run those babies on 12 volts for hours with no heat issues...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same issue. I have a newish ( less than 20 hours ) bishop capo with a maxon ( as far as the box says ) motor and it is hot within 30 mins of running and the slide is definitely not tight, maybe even a bit sloppy. I have tried adding lube and no improvement. Does anyone have a solution? Unfortunately it makes me only use it for small pieces as it is a bit uncomfortable with it being so hot for a new machine.