Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

best starter rotary

Ive been lurking for quite some time now and have finally decided to give rotaries a shot. for the last few months I planned on getting a neotat vivace and a few motors with it but am leaning more towards a rapier 3 now because of the options with give and stroke length it seems like it would make it very versatile. oh yeah the mini cranker was an option too, one im leaning heavily towards
    Is there a huge learning curve to using rotaries? Will a rotary liner really ever line as well as coils? Would it be best to start with a no give machine like the vivace? To be honest the coil machines i am using right now are greenies. I actually love the greenie color packer. I bought a paco rollins liner and didnt really care for it.

I guess im just worried that all the bells and whistles will be too much for me to get used to and ill get frustrated and give up on them.
    Last edited by pinkfro; 10-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I bought a cranker

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

114 N GUM ST HARRISBURG ILLINOIS U.S.A. PLANET EARTH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if ......if ......i was to even think of going back to coils i would still line with a rotary !!! B&g might be the only learning curve you might have but it wont be a struggle . Rotaries are cleaner in all aspects of tattooing ....then again i could be just partial ! Lol . If you dont like them theres some one on here that will take the machines off your hands . Lmfao ! Right people !
    COLOR THE WORLD !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm stupid excited right now

Post Thanks / Like
    I want a DD from him next painted up like a cute ass robot

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    .I Like them both as they are another tool in my arsenal.Altho most people that have used coils try to get the same feel and technique out of rotary at first and buy ones with give(me also).I feel the only thing you need on a rotary is slight damping-which can be done with soft grommnets or in the case of a plug style machine like no irons just put a little bit softer one in.Or how the bar is in a dan kubin. If you use a rotary with alot of give set on it you will end up doing alot of work stretching & going over the skin many times in bold color work as a rotary does not slap/pop the needle in like a coil this leads to scabbing that is not thick but will rescab many times over and be very dry.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkfro View Post
    Lol I bought a cranker

Get another one as soon as you can... The Cranker is great at everything once you try it for a certain task you dont wanna change anything on the machine... I got my 1st one and used it with a 5mm stroke and round shaders and it was so perfect that I didnt want to use it for anything else or change the stroke... 2nd one 3.5mm stroke for bng shading best shader I own I will never change anything on that one too. 3rd one 3mm stroke for lining cant say anything besides its the best liner I own ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    dk is the best

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm diggin my hawk but that's a whole different monster. And hard to get used to. I got a neo vivace 3.5 and it's done everything I've wanted it to splendidly. For what it's worth I'd say grab a vivace . No give no gimmicks solid hits.... Gets shit done. Personally that's what I've found works best for me. And the price tag isn't so steep. It's a solid workhorse. But there's 20 other rotaries that are just as capable....... Which leads to expensive endeavors
    being an artist is about feeling completely inadequate...and then getting the fuck over it. self revelation

Post Thanks / Like
    Overall I believe rotaries excel most in colouring. Some of the blending I've done with my rotaries would've chewed the hell out of a customer if I'd have attempted the same tattoo with a coil regardless how it was tuned. The skin goes through much less trauma which just equals better healed tattoos. Which is what we all want!