Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spektra noise

Post Thanks / Like

Spektra noise

Just go a hold of a Spektra from a trade and had a go with it yesterday. Starting at 7v the machine begins getting loud. At 9v this machine was really loud. From 10v on, it sounds like a pissed off bumblebee (not the transformer btw). After playing around with it at work, I started checking other ppl's reviews of it just to see if I was alone or not. The machine being very quiet is something that seems pretty across the board from reviews. So I did a follow-up with the machine today and serviced it. When my bishop got loud, I relubed it and now it is whisper quiet (i was hoping the spektra would have the same result). I dismantled, lubed, and put it back together. Just as loud as before. Swapped the 4mm cam with a 3.2mm one just to rule out stroke length, it was just as loud. Took it apart and re-serviced it a second time. I put a a larger quantity of Super lube grease than I did the first time round in case I didn't have enough. Still loud. Put a little Super lube oil on top of the grease that was previously applied in hopes that would help. Sound-wise, it did not.
    Seriously, at 10v, it is almost as loud as a coil machine. The superlube DID however loosen the give system to actually let the a-bar to break loose and move some.
    Which brings me to another issue... has anyone else had an issue with the a-bar not moving very easily in the slide? Is there a break-in period for this feature to work smoothly?

Any thoughts? Am I missing something? I'm not enjoying this machine as much as I had hoped I would. Hopefully it is an easy fix because I really like everything else about it.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't whisper quiet by any means.. Also If you don't press directly parallel to the slide on the armature it feels like it hangs up and doesn't have give. I think it's cause the armature slides on the stainless rod and if you don't press on it with your thumb just right it binds up on the bar. But when you're tattooing the needle bar is pressing parallel on the armature. Dunno if that makes sense...

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes when you use to much lube/oil it rotary will actually get louder.As it causes more friction due to no room for the lube/oil to go especially when there is tight tolerances when a machine is new and the parts are not seated yet to each other.try cleaning it of and only but a small about of lube or oil and spread evenly with finger tip so you dont hardly see it.
    -also check to make sure there is nothing hanging up inside when the unit was made that would cause drag/catch.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Its good to know they are a little on the loud side. How would you compare the sound to the bishop Asa? Louder , quieter, or about the same? And yeah, that makes sense on the parallel movement thing. I noticed that myself once it finally broke free.

Quote Originally Posted by slicksteel View Post
    Sometimes when you use to much lube/oil it rotary will actually get louder.As it causes more friction due to no room for the lube/oil to go especially when there is tight tolerances when a machine is new and the parts are not seated yet to each other.try cleaning it of and only but a small about of lube or oil and spread evenly with finger tip so you dont hardly see it.
    -also check to make sure there is nothing hanging up inside when the unit was made that would cause drag/catch.
    I'll try the "minimalist approach" monday and see if that helps at all. I followed the youtube lube instructions the first time with the 4 dots on both sides of the slide. I tried a hair more after that didn't work. Hopefully the light oil will help.

Post Thanks / Like
    i would say a little louder then a neo tat and a bit quiter then a bishop capo....right in between

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-in-cali View Post
    i would say a little louder then a neo tat and a bit quiter then a bishop capo....right in between
    Oh really? Because my Spektra is like 4x louder than my Bishop. Seriously, the Spektra @ 7v sounds like my Capo at 9-9.5v.
    Maybe Gaston will have some insight?

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds to me like something isn't right.

I have 2 halo's and one does run a little louder then the other.
    but they perform the same.
    if it is making alot of noise...you mentioned coil like...i would send it in.....something is off

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine (x4) are all noisey. My bishop original and neo tat original are SILENT compared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are fairly loud, not quite coil range. One of the louder rotaries I've had, but I still love them. It's a nice buzz. I've ran four so far and they've been a bit different in sound but not much. They get noisier too when the dampening knob is opened up a lot.

nicholasville and danville ky. we have two locations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with sage. I have two, and both are about the same as far as noise goes. Not super loud, not silent. About what I had expected. Not as loud as my rapier2. Somewhere between a rapier2 and diablo