Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coil liner problem

I just bought a new coil liner off of a local builder here in NZ, but I can't get it to run properly. For starters, I generally have to flick the a bar to get it started, and then if I touch the nipple with any kind of pressure, it stops completely rather than bogging down. If I do this a couple of times, I won't run for a few minutes. While it is running though, it runs very strong and fast, about 150hz, but at around 70% duty. I also left it running yesterday to see what would happen, it ran solidly for 12 minutes before kinda fizzling out, and then I was unable to start it for a few minutes.

I'm going to have to send it back to the builder, but I'd love to hear what you guys think is wrong with it. I have tried it on four different power supplies, with the same or worse results. All input is much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing would be do not spend money with that guy anymore ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Spring tension and throw is probably off also check which way the capacitor is wired ..

Post Thanks / Like
    How much gap is between the rear coil and the a-bar?
    Even with a bad cap machines usually still run they just throw a lot more spark.
    Does it help if you crank the voltage up?
    if it has hand wound coils (without using the plastic bobbin), some times people use washers and tape the center core, when they do this the tape (usually masking tape) some times gets stressed and the coils short on the core after they heat up.

My guess is the a-bar isn't close enough to the rear coil to be inside the magnetic field of pull, prob just needs a shim under the coils....( guessing.. do to the "flick" you say you have to do to get it started)

edit. also check the contact for any foreign debri, hit the bottom of it with a small file a couple times just to clean it up. brass sucks.
    I use copper or silver, cost more but worth it..
    Last edited by Eikonic; 11-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with the basics...Poss needs de-magnetized...Hit it with the Blade of a Screwdriver......I ain't shitting you..

Post Thanks / Like
    if you post a pic/video will be a lot easier to see, because just for saying could be a bazillion things....use the miracle of tecnology in your favor.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_Ts5fMVho
    Last edited by vodu; 11-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say to much presure on the back spring is all. The coils are strugling to pull it down. Then when you touch the nipple you add enough resistance to stop it again. But without seing it and all the gaps/pessures.............its hard to say mate.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines jesoner79's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    duty cycle is too high and then tension on the back spring is too much so the coils are overworked replace rear spring and retune

9. Like boaz liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skinmech View Post
    Start with the basics...Poss needs de-magnetized...Hit it with the Blade of a Screwdriver......I ain't shitting you..
    Great trick to do with a new guy that is having a rough running machine. I give it a bang on the stainless countertop and they look at me like I'm nuts. Then their machine runs like a top. I always like to give it some time to sink in before I explain why and how it works...
    Centri, HM La Pinta, Neotat Vivance/original, Diablo Swiss, kami & hybrid, Stealth Lite, Dragonfly (real and fake), Neuma hybrid,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much for the input guys! Much appreciated. I definitely think the spring has too much tension, I ran the guy when I first got it, and he said it was running fine when he had it, but to send it back if I couldn't get it running. Here is a video of the machine running: