Post Thanks / Like

Oil painting is hard and patience challenging

2nd attempt at this medium. I always am in awe of the tattooers that can oil paint really well. This is a machine my buddy built. Classic walker. Still not finished. Little details here and thereImageUploadedByTapatalk1353033275.613622.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil painting is definitely tough. What's even more aggravating is watching people bust out amazing pieces alla prima. Which I myself can't seem to do... Ever. What you did looks good though. Amazing for your second oil work. Using some vandyke brown or even ultramarine glazed over certain parts would really make it pop IMO . And getting some super white highlights to make things look shiny would really benefit this piece. Very nice job so far
    being an artist is about feeling completely inadequate...and then getting the fuck over it. self revelation

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously. I don't know what kind of crack these guys are smoking. I want to do one session if possible but I'm learning to do nice highlights and glazing, it has to dry. 3 days later I don't care about this painting anymore lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is so GOOD.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    check out scott waddell and david gray. amazing oil painters my 2 favs. scott waddell and david both have some nice technique videos on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll check them out. I ended up trying some glazes and some fine detailing, but Didnt end up too happy with this one. Gonna keep tryin though. Gotta love those YouTube technique videos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishess View Post
    2nd attempt at this medium. I always am in awe of the tattooers that can oil paint really well. This is a machine my buddy built. Classic walker. Still not finished. Little details here and thereImageUploadedByTapatalk1353033275.613622.jpg
    I really like this so far!keep at it

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines jesoner79's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    normally oil is done with a lean over fat technique like the old masters used but nowadays we have liquin and other mediums i have recently done some oils in one sitting most of it dries in like 15 mins (dries enough to add another layer) and overall will dry to the touch in an hour if u want to paint alla prima u have to learn what mediums to add when i first started with oils some of my paintings took weeks or months to dry but what u did looks great keep it goin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jesoner79 View Post
    normally oil is done with a lean over fat technique like the old masters used but nowadays we have liquin and other mediums i have recently done some oils in one sitting most of it dries in like 15 mins (dries enough to add another layer) and overall will dry to the touch in an hour if u want to paint alla prima u have to learn what mediums to add when i first started with oils some of my paintings took weeks or months to dry but what u did looks great keep it goin
    thanks man, could you tell me which mediums you are using to make it dry so fast?

Post Thanks / Like
    ive had good experiences with Gamblin Galkyd lite for fast dries..