Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Amoeba designs rotary

Ill set the scene, I'd seen images of Chris DeWitt's Amoeba Design machines and loved the way they looked - like a classic coil machine but a rotary, I wanted one real bad but as with everything I held back until I had researched the machines some more. There's not too many reviews on these but I found there are some seriously skilled tattooists using theses so that was enough for me - that and Chris and I were exchanging some banter over Instagram and I thought balls to it - order one.

I had Chris make a custom "dark" machine his usual brass parts he painted black for me - I'm not one against "bling" but I didn't want any shiny parts distracting me looking at the hand crafted frame

After bouncing a few emails back and forth, I went for a 4mm stroke - And left the final motor covering choices to Chris and waited for my new toy to arrive ..... Didn't have to wait as long as I though and within 2.5 weeks it arrived - I was like a kid in a sweet shop, ripping open the packaging !!!!!
    First impressions were - wow - the amount of time and love that had gone into carving and building the frame is clear to see, the result is a really strong, well balanced machine that's looks amazing.
    Now I'm a fan of precision machined anodised alloy - such as HM machines and the Stigmas, and don't get me wrong even with these hand crafted frames there is some precision work going on here.

So after playing with some settings and running in for a few mins - I loaded up a 5rl and starting around 7 volts, I so desperately wanted this machine to work straight off, but as I struggled to get the results I wanted I had to put it down and swap over to my trusted DK cranker to finish.

Ok so second go with the machine, another small banger, I found that whilst lining it felt like the hit was too soft, so I loaded a 7 mag and tried so colour packing - Wow, wow, fucking wow - what a beast !!! It was packing colour faster and smoother than any machine I have - even slightly better than my DK mini direct drives ( and I love them - all 3 )

Since then I've used the Amoeba Design machine daily on all different age clients, different body areas and different styles of tattoos and its performing faultlessly using 7,9 and 13 mags

If anybody is considering one - do it you won't regret it !!!

On top of all that Chris is a top guy, he even have me a credit on part of the postage as it didn't cost as much as he thought.

To sum it up its a beautiful piece of metal, hand crafted with great skill into a smooth running, very silent, colour packing demon !!!

Credit where it's due Chris - awesome dude.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really good review. I have liked his machines for some time now.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Amoebadesigns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for the review man, was a pleasure reading just as it was a pleasure building your machine for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoebadesigns View Post
    Thank you so much for the review man, was a pleasure reading just as it was a pleasure building your machine for you.
    What even with the errors in grammar - to be fair I did type all that on my iPhone

Credit where's it due Chris - I love my machine - so do my co workers - deffo have to lock in in the safe at night

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review, pic of said holy grail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review, thanks ...P

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Paul, check the time of yer post..Freaky.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4mm Amoeba Designs Rotary as well. I have 3 of his coils machines and there are 9 of his in the shop. You could say we love this guy. His machines are top notch and run so good. His customer service is amazing. He always takes the time to answer all my questions.

I agree with Baldrick on the color part. It saturates color better than any machine I have ever ran. I have done a little black and grey with it and it very smooth there too.

I haven't tried lining with it yet but I am going to soon.

All I can say is thank you Chris for an awesome line of machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    should post pics of machine babies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatlad5 View Post
    Nice review, pic of said holy grail?
    Ill take some tomorrow and post em up.