Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Timer questions :^)

Got my Old Timer. Thing is............ I asume I need to open the needle eye up to get it on. But cant I use a gromet ? what do you folks do ? just leav it metal on metal ?. Also what rubber bands do you use ?

I know some of you are tutting at me or calling me a TW%T. But I could realy do with your input.

I love the look of it though you could chisel stone with this thing.

Many thanks.
    Dallas.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Gromm just metal on metal, and some people use a large o-ring instead of an elastic band...I use ord bands or the smaller "halo" type bands...like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-5...item3f08a0baa2

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, we already have 100s of those for the kids hair. Tiz hard to grip the needle loop round the nipple en it,,,,, or do you think I will just get used to doing it ?. Lovely lookin machine though.......... looks old fashioned ....HEY ????? that might be why its called an Old Timer clever en I .

4. Like jonpiper liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just open up with the edge of a pair of scissors, only takes 2 secs, easier to do than explain,LOL...

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not like these cam set-ups that require you open up the needlebar eyelet in order for it to snick onto the armature nipple, I just don't see the point. I much prefer the DDs that have a nipple where you can use a grommet, what's the advantage of metal to metal? That's why I sold my Roy Richardson, all that damn fucking about opening eyelets up that have to be just right.

For instance http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthre...-School-Rotary ,to me that's better.
    Last edited by peter clements; 12-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have my old timer anymore, but I never had to open up the needle loop - they fit, it's nice and tight but they will go on.

Peter, I find with the silicone tubing I use instead of grommets I have to open the the loop slightly, I just use a small pair of long nose pliers - takes 3 seconds.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I don't have my old timer anymore, but I never had to open up the needle loop - they fit, it's nice and tight but they will go on.

Peter, I find with the silicone tubing I use instead of grommets I have to open the the loop slightly, I just use a small pair of long nose pliers - takes 3 seconds.
    Exactly, silicone tubing is ideal Simon,and you can use a slightly thicker type if you want to create a little "give" but you can't have this option in those clip on situations.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or you can just open the eyelet up on the edge of your back stem if you are using stainless tubes.
    @bengriffiths_tattooer on instagram.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines directDRIVE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I've been beaten to it, but... Yup, just open the loop slightly

Though as someone rightly said, not all needle bars are created equally, some will fit right out of the packet, some won't, and if you find some that do, chances are that the supplier will change its manufacturer at some point in the future, then you're back to square one <- pointless sentence, but true none the less.

There is no real 'point' to the cam/bearing nipple situation on these, or Roy's, or any other's that use this set up for that matter - other than the fact that you can use a smaller diameter cam/cam with no 'step' which cuts weight, look's neater, erm... and it also means that there's no grommet to shred or destroy

But I would say that

Post Thanks / Like
    SOOOOO, I will get used to it then ???????? Is that what your saying

So I shouldnt over open it and then try and re-grip it tight ? , , , , I should open it to the correct size so it just about slips on, and leave it like that ?????.