Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ex lovers name

Post Thanks / Like
    I for example have two main ways of approaching a cover up. Either I loose the old tattoo by designing something black on top just like Casey did and the other way I use the clean skin around the tattoo to design whatever the space allows me and do like a dark background on top of the old tattoo. Hope is making sense!
    Depends on the budget or how much bigger the person wants to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    i tend to blast right over these types of things, asian stuff works well. there is a dragon off of a jack rudy and filip leu set we call the cover all dragon. i know my approach isn't always well received by tattooers in discussion groups like this but my customers are always happy.

F

3. Like Kyl liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Result! 3 pages on a thread i started ...internet fame at last. So i take it you dont like the idea Niveck, no problem buddy after all its a very chaotic style(which is really becoming popular in europe i believe?) and i too can see some downfalls. Client absolutely refuses laser and wants it covered asap , i believe its less than 3 months old so not too sure how effective laser would be at this stage (if he wanted it) It is positioned on his inner forearm , his outer forearm consists of poorly done swallows and suchlike , another blight on the skin of thousands of Brits! I always encourage criticism towards any of my work both positive and more importantly negative (imo) as i believe this helps immensely with improvements especially when solutions no matter how small are offered. Absolutely natural that any works by any persons is not going to be well received by all parties, that would in fact make life and more importantly this great craft shite!

5. Like Scentless Apprentice liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i for one think your approach is very creative and artistic just not one i would try, really just a matter of styles and like u said the other side has a bunch of muck so you are prolly going at this the correct way. someone early said something about doing the customer right, etc etc. I think the person that put this mess on him is the one who should have been thinking that way. i would have tried explaining why a fancy script would have been better or how tattoos or art in general is language without words and a nice clean tattoo that expressed his feeling would be better than big macho ol english lettering.
    F

fuck bitches get money

F

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find breaking up the existing shapes by changing the direction the eye looks at the piece works better than just packing black over it. With black on black you are saturating more color into an area that is dark. With a bit of time and god forbid some sun, the black that is under the black will show through. It's the same reason that a large color patch wont work well in covering something. I find things like koi dragons etc work very well for covering, even more so if you use blends to "break" up the existing areas.

Doing something like lining then putting a flesh tone or white in the dark areas can lighten the image enough to help cover it with dark to light blends.

Flowers can do the same - the lines from different shape flowers. Saturate some dark colors blend them out to lighter tones and use a light background where you can.

Japanese that has color in the foreground and greys in the background work well because they change how the eye looks at the piece. Yes you will see areas that you can see if you stand and stare at it and know what to look for, but to most people won't see it. Big areas of solid color (or black) do not cover as well as dark to light blends cause you can losing things.

One of the easiest ways I find to cover stuff is to go bigger and bury it.

I always tell people getting cover ups to come back in a month for a "second hit" so you can saturate more colors in places that its needed.

Casey when I look at your stuff - I think you can defiantly come up with something - You are right about that style not being my thing, but I also see that you could come up with something that would work better. That being said, your have a strength in portrait style work, which I feel is one of my greatest weaknesses, so who knows.

If I has some time to, I would print and sketch some stuff, but I don't right now.

This whole thread has also made me very aware that I need to update my online portfolio.....

8. Thanks casey thanked for this post.
    Like John liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^^Now I respect you for that. You now have put forth real effort to help an artist, & also ended up putting out great cover up information that could help a lot of people on the entire forum. You probably don't give a shit about my personal opinion, but you understand my point about just calling someones idea "crap" & not really providing any help or ideas. I didn't mean any disrespect towards you @ all. & wasn't trying to piss anybody off. I just thought it could go smoother w/ someone pretty much asking for help.

10. Like John, scottrallen liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top man Nivek, some great advice there buddy. The idea shown was as i say very rough and when completed i will use my portraits strengths as best i can to give the faces or sections of faces as realistic slant as i can and also make the whole piece a little busier to keep the eyes occupied if that makes sense. As for covering the black with black i do intend to do this in stages, first i shall merely work up to the existing black and then i shall get him to call back to cover both the old and new black, have had great success with this in the past (fortunately here its not raised) Have discovered after a quick internet trawl that the "trash polka" style which im aiming for is very much a love it or hate it style and if im being totally honest i dont always get it, but it is becoming more and more popular around here. Once again Nivek thankyou so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by serial1313 View Post
    ^^^^^Now I respect you for that. You now have put forth real effort to help an artist, & also ended up putting out great cover up information that could help a lot of people on the entire forum. You probably don't give a shit about my personal opinion, but you understand my point about just calling someones idea "crap" & not really providing any help or ideas. I didn't mean any disrespect towards you @ all. & wasn't trying to piss anybody off. I just thought it could go smoother w/ someone pretty much asking for help.
    Yup I get your point, and agree to a point. I do see your opinion and its allll good, sir.

13. Like casey liked this post.
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Casey - why not try a black blended to a dark blue splotch, maybe with some highlights ? Fusions power blue is GREAT for c/u work

15. Thanks casey thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for reference (in case you guys haven't seen Buena Vista yet).... here is some AMAZING trash polka:

http://www.buenavistatattooclub.de/t...trash_polka/0/