Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that needle setup and speed are most likely the biggest issues. Many are not having the ink creep problem when using the Dragonflys....and some are. I would suggest taking a look at your needle bar bend, maybe bend less, maybe bend more. You need to closely look at how the needles are setting up at the tip. Are they curving up due to too much bend or elastic, are they not fully riding in the tip. Also I would suggest slowing down the run speed. After working with rotary machines for more than 6 years I can tell you that most artists will start out by running their machines too fast, and I have found that by slowing the rotary machine down, the artist will find that "sweet" spot that works the best for them.....and the ink will fly in.

On the engineering side of things...with some of the new rotary machines with adjustable give....not dampening, that there could be inherent vibrations produced inside the system. The spring rate may be vibrating at a resonant frequency with respect to the running speed. I would think that progressive wound springs or double springs with different spring rates would fix any vibration effect. So I would suggest that the machine builders take a look into this.... in order to make their machines that much better. I'm a "mad scientist" type and I designed a vibration analysis test fixture that we use here....I can mount tattoo machines and measure and record the vibrations going on....along with other data....and one would be suprized at what liitle changes made in any machine can do for those strange vibrations and harmonics. With the wrong vibrations, the needle bar can act like a feed mechanism and move the pigments right up the bar.
    - Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had it happen with my old hyper v1.
    I thought it was like this. If you imagin putting a ball bearing on to a plank of wood. If you grab that bit of wood and move it left and right in a completely smooth and even way, the bearing will stay in the middle.
    But if you were to put more force in to one direction, the bearing will go that way.

I figured that a coil machine would always have a bit more force in one direction which is why they never have this problem and often make better liners.
    Were as a rotary wouldn't need much to make the ink go the other way. A bit more friction on the tube, the angle you're working at, rubber band tension ect ect

I might be totally wrong but it sounded plausable to me

Post Thanks / Like
    if you lift the bar where the gromet and needle bar sits a bit it should stop it.

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdadio View Post
    I'm a "mad scientist" type and I designed a vibration analysis test fixture that we use here....I can mount tattoo machines and measure and record the vibrations going on....along with other data....and one would be suprized at what liitle changes made in any machine can do for those strange vibrations and harmonics. With the wrong vibrations, the needle bar can act like a feed mechanism and move the pigments right up the bar.
    - Ray
    Wow, Ray, you amaze me! That is really interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey....I'm just me......can't leave good enough alone

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ray, this is me being the nerd with a physics degree so my apologies to everyone else for being a little of topic but have you used your "mad scientist test rig" to see which material dampens vibration the most for traditional machines and if so, what came out on top?

Post Thanks / Like
    You know.....I never tested different frame materials with it....hmmm? From experience, soft cast iron and bronze always ran better than stainless, aluminum or plastic in coils. I never gave it a thought to..... I get focused and.....hmmm. Thanks, good idea!

Off topic....
    Yeah, I almost became a physics major, on to teaching. I worked my way thru college tutoring math and physics.... loved the hell out of it.....had to make my choice between math, physics or engineering. The mad scientist stuff?......I've got the hair for it....

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjdadio View Post
    I never gave it a thought to..... I get focused and.....hmmm. Thanks, good idea!

Off topic....
    Yeah, I almost became a physics major, on to teaching. I worked my way thru college tutoring math and physics.... loved the hell out of it.....had to make my choice between math, physics or engineering. The mad scientist stuff?......I've got the hair for it....
    Oooh please please post your findings if you get around to testing it!

Haha very similar although I chose coastal engineering for a bit... No hair here but that's by choice!

Right, I promise to stay on topic now as if Ray does test stuff I'm sure he'll post it on another thread

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can always start new threads about metallurgy and science stuff. This is all good info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the dragonfly, But I have had pigments run up my needle. Pain in the ass. Last time it got all up into the mechanism. Mega pain in the ass. As my reward for staying late to finish a leg sleeve one evening, I bounced it off the floor by yoking it off the counter by the cord. Threw it all outta wack. Not quite as sturdy as $500 should warrant. Ive heard about swashes breaking easily but Ive boun ced mine off the floor a couple times and its fine. ( yes I bag my machines. everyone should)