Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Problems with Dragonfly Tattoo Machine

I have heard mixed reviews on Dragonfly tattoo machines. Some people report that ink is travelling up the tube and onto the needle bar. Anyone else had this happen?

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines phatmountain's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use Dragonflys for travel & don't have that problem. The only difference I could see is the type of needles used. I used PRICK PREMIUM needles. I've heard that putting some vasiline halfway up the need bar works. But I honestly havn't had to do that. Just finished this piece with the Dragonfly's a couple hours ago. I usually use N2's but after hearing of those problems I had to chack it out. I love these machines.
    http://amuen.com/Decker/albums/515/16303

Post Thanks / Like
    i have only been using rotary for about 2 weeks now, and the dragonfly is my first one. i am having a huge issue with this at the moment. not sure whats causing it but i messaged christian for some insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's the settings you have it on, Brian. Might help to mention how many volts you run your machine at, if you bend your needle and where, what tension you have the dampener on etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, i figure its something im doing wrong with it because it doesnt always happen. maybe over arcing the bar?

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same issue with my Hyper and thinner inks/washes. Their answer was to put a blob of petroleum jelly on the needle bar somewhere above the wash hole... it solved the issue but annoyed me nonetheless

Post Thanks / Like
    ill try that. it didnt do it to me last night so i really think i was over arcing the needle bar and overtightening the tensioner to compensate.

8. Thanks Johnny Jinx thanked for this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines specialtechnique's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the ink will travel up the tube for a couple reasons... 1 - capillary attraction in the space between needle bar and tube wall. 2 - the forward movement is a lot faster than the backward movement and you're using thick inks. using vaseline doesn't fix these problems but will keep the ink more or less where you need it to stay. bend your needle LESS, and relax all the rubber on the machine AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ALWAYS. slow down the machine for thick inks, no matter what. i don't think the brand of needles matters, only that there is enough room between tube wall and needle to avoid capillary attraction.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have been running my color at the longest stroke and lowest voltage, the only time i have tried to speed it up was for wash and that didnt go so well. but thank you for confirming what i was thinking, over bending the bar and tightening the tensioner too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by specialtechnique View Post
    the ink will travel up the tube for a couple reasons... the forward movement is a lot faster than the backward movement ... relax all the rubber on the machine AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ALWAYS. slow down the machine for thick inks, no matter what.
    So, in my mind, when I heard of some people describing these problems, it almost sounded like a slingshot action from however they had their dampener set - almost like it was yanking the needle backwards and just pushing it forward. Would that be somewhat accurate?