Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    1.) How long have you been tattooing?
    10 Years.

2.) Have you ever had problems w/ your hands/wrists/arms as a result of tattooing? describe
    Yeah I get tendon cramps in my forearms, and left hand from stretching skin.

3.) How many hours a day/ week do you spend tattooing?
    4-8 hours a day.

4.) What style of tattooing (black and grey, traditional,etc.) do you work in most?
    I will do everything, I love traditional stuff, and Asian motives. But I am maybe only really good at skulls.

5.) What style do you prefer to work in?
    Skulls with skulls.

6.) Name an artist who has influenced you? What do you like about their style?
    I only have one, and I can only hope that motherfucker doesn't read this forum as he would know exactly who I am talking about. Needless to say its an old friend, and he helped me more than he needs to know.

7.) How many tattoo machines do you own?
    more than 30 I think.

8.) In the past, what machines have you used the most? how long? how were they set up?
    i used an old school Micky Bee for ages. It was a large rotary dial ( coil machine ) set up as a liner. Then I used a pair of bronze Micky sharpz for a long time. Now I am mostly rapier IIs. I have three. To liners and a shader. Although one liner is also a shader and color packer when I need it.

9.) What is currently your favorite tattoo machine? Why?
    The rapier II, it can and will do everything.

10.) How many machines do you use in a typical tattoo?
    2-3

11.) How much should a good tattoo machine cost?
    It should reflect what is involved in making the machine. If it is very expensive and time consuming to build then factor your time to build. However if you are only going to build a hundred of a machine an then not be willing to supply parts for 5-10 years then no more than 200€. I feel strongly about this because the life of any machine should be at minimum 5 years.

12.) Name a few things that you like/dislike about tattoo machines and/or power units
    i dislike that builders change and stop making great machines. When you have a great model. And you have enough people that love it, then build it forever. I could site a lot of builders of rotaries on this. Notice most coil builders make the same few machines for years at a time and rotaries change every six months.

13.) What tubes do you use?
    Disposables mostly the clear ones from tattoogoods.de

14.) What needles do you use?
    lately I have been ordering from Tony Lynx as I can order exactly what I want, exactly how I want it. Not to mention they aren't over priced and I find fewer rejects than the ones I was buying for nearly double the money. .

15.) What power supplie(s) do you use? Do you prefer knobs or push buttons?
    CAnything with a read out and push buttons is good for me, however I like the constant on more than anything else. I am considering switching to a lab power supply and a stomp switch for constant on.

16.) How important is knowing CPS, volts, etc., to you?
    I am all rotaries now so volts matter a lot to me.

17.) What do you think of rotary tattoo machines? Needle cartridges?
    the question is worded strange. I live rotaries as I love consistency. I like the cartridges, but think they cost too much. I also don't like the idea of not calving the tubes for cartridge systems after every tattoo

18.) How much would you pay for a tattoo machine that would eliminate the need for several tattoo machines and be adjusted by the push of a button rather than turning a knob or screw?
    [B] I all ready own three. They are called Rapier IIs and a few can change their strike with a screw, but the give is set and the rest changes with voltage and they pack color like mad, do greywash faster than you can plan it, and line better than a lot of coils. But that is my opinion.

2. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    santas not real?

Post Thanks / Like
    1.) How long have you been tattooing? 19yrs

2.) Have you ever had problems w/ your hands/wrists/arms as a result of tattooing? describe
    Not really, light finger soreness but nothing major (yet)

Now 30-40hrs a week, a couple years ago 60+

4.) What style of tattooing (black and grey, traditional,etc.) do you work in most?
    I like to tattoo like I paint. Black and gray or color. semi realistic.

I don't do traditional, Japanese or stuff like that. I do alot of large stuff that is complicated and detailed. Both color and black and gray.

When I first started it was Guy Aitchison and Paul Booth were both big influences. Today there are so many that I can't even keep track any more.

20ish

8.) In the past, what machines have you used the most? how long? how were they set up?
    When I used coils I like Time Machines and Micky Sharps. I used Neuma 2s and hybrids for several years.

Today I line with a NeoTat, Color with a Diablo, B&G with a Centri. If Neumas weren't so obnoxiously loud I would have stuck with them. I do miss them some days.

2-4

$300 is very comfortable, $400 is ok but I have and will spend more when I think it is worth it. Hell I spent several grand on them Neumas.

12.) Name a few things that you like/dislike about tattoo machines and/or power units
    I dislike cords getting in my way, poor weighing on a machine, cheep parts, tube vices that don't work with everything and I hate noise.
    I like a quiet, light, evenly weighted machine that the clip or RCA cord doesn't get in my way. I like consistency, when I start it up it should do what I tell it to do every time.
    A power supply needs to be precise an consistent. No spikes or fluctuation. I like having a timer and stay on capability.

Tat Supply out of Chicago sells black disposable 1" grip tubes. Lately that is about all I use. I have no clue what brand they are.

Mithra #1s and the ones that Tat Supply sells. Not sure of the maker but I like them alot. I have so many different types and configurations that I am not writing all of them here. At least 30 different boxes of different configurations. Mags, bug pins, tight/loose liners, round shaders....

CX2, knobs tune smoother but the push buttons clean up so easy and briers are easy on and off.

RPM would be real nice but not always necessary. Volts are nice for a starting point but not necessary. Multi setting is again nice but not necessary.

Rotary machines are all I will use today. The weight and noise are the selling factors to me. I haven't ever used needle cartridges but the idea behind them is great.

18.) How much would you pay for a tattoo machine that would eliminate the need for several tattoo machines and be adjusted by the push of a button rather than turning a knob or screw?
    Well, I paid A SHIT LOAD for my Neuma set up, don't think I will ever spend that kind of cash again. It was real close to a do it all machine. My Centri was 600 and I would pay it again and will when the new one comes out. I paid them high dollars cause I knew they worked and worked like I wanted them to. There are to many factors to guess what I would pay for something like that.
    I like having 2-3-4 machines out and ready on the fly at a time. I also would hate to have a one machine for all die on me, then I would be completely fucked. I had that fear with the Neumas, if the compressor died I didn't have a good back up just sitting around. I am always afraid of down time even though I value down time more and more but only when I plan it.
    I also have to admit that I find tattoo machines to be my toys. I always feel like I need more and want more and can't stop till I have more. I work more so I can get more and so on...
    Centri, HM La Pinta, Neotat Vivance/original, Diablo Swiss, kami & hybrid, Stealth Lite, Dragonfly (real and fake), Neuma hybrid,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MickWrath View Post
    1.) How long have you been tattooing?
    11 Years.

My elbow gets a little stiff from time to time on really long sessions.

Of course it varies but I probably avg 5 about hours a day, so roughly 30 a week.

Color and Realism.

Color Realism.

When I was green my main influences came from artists like Eric Merrill, Cory Kruger, and the Kern brothers, nowadays all I have to do is look at Liz Cook's work. She is pure inspiration in my humble opinion.

12 currently but it changes quite often.

Coils: Sharpz, Cains, Sobas, Seths, Next Gens, and ES Customs. Rotary: My first rotaries were a pair of original Neos when they first came out, and I primarily used those with my coils until a couple years ago. They were all set up for specific tasks depending on what I was doing.

Inkjecta Specific 3, I love its versatility, its so smooth it makes my style so much easier to transfer to skin, and maybe because I come from a 99% coil background it just fits.

2-3

It should be affordable without sacrificing quality, I actually think most machines are slightly overpriced currently, especially unproven custom builds that are hand built with little finishing. I remember buying my first rollomatic and back in the day 550-600 was so extremely steep for a coil but if its more expensive its better right?, that was a mistake I learned from and I built a machine that month that ran so much smoother and consistent than my Rolo and I did it for about $150.

dislike: cords lol, mounts for power supplies I feel can be vastly improved on.

Original 1" taper NG bombs, and Morphix humbolts with disposable tube stems.

I was very happy with tatsoul up until my last order and I have a slight suspicion that its due to the company being sold. My last batch of almost 500 needles has been shit. Everything from inconsistent tightening to beads of solder at the end of the solder line towards the tips, to the needle loop being on the opposite side of the norm on some, to the damn blister packs heat sealed with folds so they are open and exposed to air after eo sterilization. It will be my last order. I was very pleased with the very large sample pack kingpin sent me however so I will try them most likely. I love metaxa's but they are a bit spendy imho.

CX2, push buttons, CX1 for conventions.

Very, as is knowing the ins and outs of how a machine works and why. The more you understand about how the machine works in every minute aspect the better you will understand how to technically apply pigment to skin in all its types and areas of sensitivity and elasticity.

I only use Rotaries, they have replaced my coils fully. I will be receiving my first machine next week that uses cartridge systems. I have used them in the past on borrowed time and liked them, but I always found the cartridges very pricey compared to needles. However! doing the math I figured that larger magnum cartridges can actually put you on price point with the same in standard needle format, so I intend to use my Stylus for larger magnums exclusively.

I'm more of a KISS kinda guy. Innovate, create, make vast improvements, even revolutionize...but Keep It Simple Stupid, is a motto I think most of us can agree with. Besides, like stated above I like having more than one machine and my machines are also set up individually for very specific tasks.
    Hey Mick,

Thanks for being a loyal customers of ours. I am sorry to hear about the needle issues of your last purchase. If you can send me a personal email regarding the lot # and the needle configurations, I can definitely help remedy the situation and send over some replacements over to you. Just to be clear, our company was never sold to anyone and is still the same company with the same ideology of providing the best in products and customer service. My personal email is [email protected]. If any of you would like any free samples of our Wrath Tubes or Envy Needles, feel free to contact me. We are in the process of expanding our needle configurations and other equipment to specific artwork types through all of our research and evelopment.

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through the same thing mick.. My name is randy Willard and my co worker Wayne Evans went through our last orders and half the needles were bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange. Please provide me with lot #s on boxes and we'll get to the bottom of this. We pride ourselves on quality and will replace anything. Give us a call as well but I personally would love to find out the lot#s and see which batch had the issues. We'll send replacements ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will give you a call with the lot numbers tomorrow Billy. Thank you for addressing the issue it shows class and dedication to customer service. My last order was a very large one. Im also finding some of my wrath tubes were not deburred at the tips from the ejection mold process so the thin piece of plastic prevents the needles from lying flush against the bottom. a small file has been necessary on multiple occasions from the same order. I will provide the lot numbers for those as well. Mick-
    Owner/Artist Living Dead Tattoo Studio, Las Vegas.
    Instagram: #mickwrath
    www.livingdeadtattoo.net

Post Thanks / Like
    That was a hoot...thanks owls den

I have same problems...tendinitis in forearm and stretching psin in left...can only tattoo minimally

Ice helps

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you , stripe....did u use a compressor w the neuma ?

Post Thanks / Like
    edited my post and added a video answer as well on the first page.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO