Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost 20 questions.. .

Hello,

If you have a minute and wanna answer a few questions about tattooing, it would be a great help. I am in the process of designing some new tattoo equipment and need some feedback from fellow artists.

THANKS

1.) How long have you been tattooing?

2.) Have you ever had problems w/ your hands/wrists/arms as a result of tattooing? describe

3.) How many hours a day/ week do you spend tattooing?

4.) What style of tattooing (black and grey, traditional,etc.) do you work in most?

5.) What style do you prefer to work in?

6.) Name an artist who has influenced you? What do you like about their style?

7.) How many tattoo machines do you own?

8.) In the past, what machines have you used the most? how long? how were they set up?

9.) What is currently your favorite tattoo machine? Why?

10.) How many machines do you use in a typical tattoo?

11.) How much should a good tattoo machine cost?

12.) Name a few things that you like/dislike about tattoo machines and/or power units

13.) What tubes do you use?

14.) What needles do you use?

15.) What power supplie(s) do you use? Do you prefer knobs or push buttons?

16.) How important is knowing CPS, volts, etc., to you?

17.) What do you think of rotary tattoo machines? Needle cartridges?

18.) How much would you pay for a tattoo machine that would eliminate the need for several tattoo machines and be adjusted by the push of a button rather than turning a knob or screw?
    Last edited by lab rat; 01-25-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    1.) 8 Years
    2.) Yes fingers from stretching and right wrist soreness
    3.) 30-50
    4.) Colour misc styles
    5.) Japanese and Traditional, but I like to mix it up
    6.) Uncle Allen, Jeff Zuck. Creative but classic
    7.) 30+ mix rotary and relay
    8.) Juan Puente shader slow and soft, Seth liner Med and punchy. Dan Kubin Liner and Halo shader, injecta or Lollie shader for grey
    9.) Dan Kubins and Halo they do what they are supposed to do consistently
    0.) 2 or 3
    11.) I am comfortable around the 400 range for a good machine
    12.) Lack of versatility with some rotaries. The weight of some relay
    13.) Blitz Grips with plastic disposable tubes from Good Guy
    14.) Good Guy for most Metaxa bugpins
    15.) Critical = Push button
    16.) Voltage is a MUST have the rest is just gravy
    17.) Love em, can't be bothered with cartridges after trying them
    18.) I probally wouldnt buy one I like having more than one machine, If I did get an adjustable one I would set it up for a specific task and use it for that. Adjusting on the fly isn't something Im interested in. I Like my machines to do what they are set up to do. Pick it up and not have to worry about adjusting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for your input, nivek...

good lookin out

Post Thanks / Like
    27 years
    2.) Have you ever had problems w/ your hands/wrists/arms as a result of tattooing? describe
    no problems yet just a little soreness at the end of a long day.
    8 hours a day.
    4.) What style of tattooing (black and grey, traditional,etc.) do you work in most?
    I do what ever the customer may want except for portraits, but really enjoy color work.
    I have my own style but can adapt to do any style from fine line to color bomb.
    I would say that my influences come from all the wonderful work that I see from way to many artists to list.
    currently I'm at 7 rotary and 10 coil, but at one time had upward of 40 coil machines.
    8.) In the past, what machines have you used the most? how long? how were they set up?
    my most used machines are my original Jonsey machines. Set up as liners and shader set.
    they have all been my favorite.
    typically 3 machines for most tattoos.
    cost is not a factor for me.
    12.) Name a few things that you like/dislike about tattoo machines and/or power units
    tuning for coil machines, I'm good at it but I have never liked it. As for power units I like to have a power read out.
    all stainless, but I'm gonna switch to derlin grips.
    right now I get my needles from tatsoul.
    eikon 400
    very important for me if I'm building up a frame.
    love useing rotary, never have used cartridge systems.
    18.) How much would you pay for a tattoo machine that would eliminate the need for several tattoo machines and be adjusted by the push of a button rather than turning a knob or screw?
    ​I would not as I think that that would require too much room for something to go wrong.

<font color="#ff0000">
    Last edited by Wonderland; 01-31-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    http://www.wonderlandtattoo.net
    Nick's Rotary, Neotat Vivace x2 (4.2 orange, 3.2 brass), Special Technique, HM Machines, Neds MR04, Lauro DD, Eddie Lollis, Halo x2 (Pink 4 and Grey 3.5), Dan Kubin MC2 3.5, Dan kubin MC2 4.0 Centri cobra, Centri evader Halo Direkt 4.2 and 3.2
    Instagram: #ROB_WONDERLANDTATTOO

5. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like

About 30 years

2.) Have you ever had problems w/ your hands/wrists/arms as a result of tattooing? describe Yes. I have thoracic outlet syndrome, basicaly pinched nerves in my neck causes numbness in hands.

3.) How many hours a day/ week do you spend tattooing? 5-8 hours a day on average.

4.) What style of tattooing (black and grey, traditional,etc.) do you work in most? all styles except realism

5.) What style do you prefer to work in? tattoos

6.) Name an artist who has influenced you? What do you like about their style? Lil Brian Spidermonkey Tattoo Olympia Wa. Taught me a ton about black and gray.

7.) How many tattoo machines do you own? 10

8.) In the past, what machines have you used the most? how long? how were they set up? Spaulding Pumas, Mickey tdial, for about 20 years. Currently using Moniz liners and Swashdrives

9.) What is currently your favorite tattoo machine? Why? Moniz liners best coil machines on the planet hands down. Swashdrive Gen 7 only rotary that has super smooth motion and runs fast enough to keep up with my hand speed.

10.) How many machines do you use in a typical tattoo? 3

11.) How much should a good tattoo machine cost? cost doesnt matter as long as it runs right.

13.) What tubes do you use? Blitz

14.) What needles do you use? Mike Metaxa

15.) What power supplie(s) do you use? Do you prefer knobs or push buttons? Eikon ems400 Push buttons

16.) How important is knowing CPS, volts, etc., to you? CPS Only when tuning or testing a machine. Volts all the time.

17.) What do you think of rotary tattoo machines? Needle cartridges? Love my Swashdrives not to keen on others I have tried. Needle carts are no bueno. Not enough options and just arent made to my liking. Also too damn expensive.

18.) How much would you pay for a tattoo machine that would eliminate the need for several tattoo machines and be adjusted by the push of a button rather than turning a knob or screw? Depends on how well it works

7. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    11 Years.

My elbow gets a little stiff from time to time on really long sessions.

Of course it varies but I probably avg 5 about hours a day, so roughly 30 a week.

Color and Realism.

Color Realism.

When I was green my main influences came from artists like Eric Merrill, Cory Kruger, and the Kern brothers, nowadays all I have to do is look at Liz Cook's work. She is pure inspiration in my humble opinion.

12 currently but it changes quite often.

Coils: Sharpz, Cains, Sobas, Seths, Next Gens, and ES Customs. Rotary: My first rotaries were a pair of original Neos when they first came out, and I primarily used those with my coils until a couple years ago. They were all set up for specific tasks depending on what I was doing.

Inkjecta Specific 3, I love its versatility, its so smooth it makes my style so much easier to transfer to skin, and maybe because I come from a 99% coil background it just fits.

2-3

It should be affordable without sacrificing quality, I actually think most machines are slightly overpriced currently, especially unproven custom builds that are hand built with little finishing. I remember buying my first rollomatic and back in the day 550-600 was so extremely steep for a coil but if its more expensive its better right?, that was a mistake I learned from and I built a machine that month that ran so much smoother and consistent than my Rolo and I did it for about $150.

dislike: cords lol, mounts for power supplies I feel can be vastly improved on.

Original 1" taper NG bombs, and Morphix humbolts with disposable tube stems.

I was very happy with tatsoul up until my last order and I have a slight suspicion that its due to the company being sold. My last batch of almost 500 needles has been shit. Everything from inconsistent tightening to beads of solder at the end of the solder line towards the tips, to the needle loop being on the opposite side of the norm on some, to the damn blister packs heat sealed with folds so they are open and exposed to air after eo sterilization. It will be my last order. I was very pleased with the very large sample pack kingpin sent me however so I will try them most likely. I love metaxa's but they are a bit spendy imho.

CX2, push buttons, CX1 for conventions.

Very, as is knowing the ins and outs of how a machine works and why. The more you understand about how the machine works in every minute aspect the better you will understand how to technically apply pigment to skin in all its types and areas of sensitivity and elasticity.

I only use Rotaries, they have replaced my coils fully. I will be receiving my first machine next week that uses cartridge systems. I have used them in the past on borrowed time and liked them, but I always found the cartridges very pricey compared to needles. However! doing the math I figured that larger magnum cartridges can actually put you on price point with the same in standard needle format, so I intend to use my Stylus for larger magnums exclusively.

I'm more of a KISS kinda guy. Innovate, create, make vast improvements, even revolutionize...but Keep It Simple Stupid, is a motto I think most of us can agree with. Besides, like stated above I like having more than one machine and my machines are also set up individually for very specific tasks.
    Owner/Artist Living Dead Tattoo Studio, Las Vegas.
    Instagram: #mickwrath
    www.livingdeadtattoo.net

9. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    • 1.) How long have you been tattooing?

21 years

some numbness in my right hand and index finger

4-6 hrs a day 3 days a week

black and grey, asian stuff, wild life

the paying kind, not trying to be a smart ass but

cat spencer, his loose feel and easy readability

20ish

aaron cain's for the last decade just the way he set them up

FKI pyro, its light quick and very purposeful

300-500

i dislike heavy machines, slow machines, and round frames, i like walker style frames, and
      critical power supplies

wrath vortex with 1-1/4" grips

envy long and medium tapers magnums, 5's and 7's liners

critical and i prefer buttons

very important as a base starting point

they have their place but i'm mainly a coil guy. i sometimes wonder if rotaries aren't going to be yet another
      tattoo fade? never tried a cartridges

i place a lot of importance on my needle configuration as much or more than the machine so to me i prolly wouldn't be all
      that interested

fun little questionnaire thanks for posting and allowing me to give my input. i highly doubt it will be much help or very interesting
      but thanks anyway

F

11. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everyone for taking the time to reply....lots of interesting and varied answers

Post Thanks / Like
    keep em comin!

Post Thanks / Like
    13 years

a little on fingers from streching and a little on the wrist

depends. 5-8 hours a day, depend the project/tattoo

I work the style the client bring, but customized/new drawing. i like the challenge

All. But customized, I donīt have a preference but i like to put my idea on the tattoo...

shit, thereīs so many...Iīll put as I remember...Hr giger, paul booth, tim biedron, uncle alan, jeff gogue, mauricio teodoro, ichibay, cory kruger, seth wood, lango, grime, tom renshaw, filip leu, tommy lee, david corden, sivak, my fellows I worked, and you guys, from the forum...

right now, 2 neo tats 2.5,3,5/ 3 hyper v3s and Iīm waiting the customs give me my new H v2.

2 micky sharpz hibrids and 1 paul rogers

I love the versatility of the hypers. For my hand it fits.

3-5, depending the details

a marshmallow to 500, but if you gonna price it 500 bucks, itīs better to worth every penny

i like punch, control of velocity, smoothness , i hate tunning machines, i know how to do it, but after 11 years of this BS i donīt want to do anymore. Hate crap P.S.s and love the infos/volts, cps, blah, blah, all the thing my eikon has but i wish 2 more presets.

stainless steel.

amazon needles

An ems 400, push buttons

very important! each rotary have their own sound, for example, one rotary can make a sound of a lawnmower and itīs only 70cps for example, and the other at the same volts can be silent and moves at 100 cps, so in ROTARY i think itīs essencial...

what do i think? Itīs crack. you start with only one and when you see you are spending a good part of your money to buy more. Hell, i love it!(not the part of spending). never used needle cartridges, here in jungle itīs impossible to find and very difficult to import.

I donīt believe in santa or easter bunny, thereīs no such thing.
    Last edited by vodu; 01-26-2013 at 01:37 PM.

15. Thanks lab rat thanked for this post.