Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motors?

Post Thanks / Like

Motors?

Hi all I've been fortunate enough to be able to mess around with a friends CNC machine looking at making a couple of custom rotary machines for myself but before i do I need to know if I can get hold of some motors to play around with from a UK supplier . I'm not looking at maxons or anything of this price as this is just a pet project I've heard the names faulhaber and mabuchi knocked about please can anyone help with any of these questions
    Brand of motor and Uk stockist
    Average size of motor
    Voltage
    Brushed/brushless
    any other info that may help would be awesome

Thanks
    All in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots to go into here. Your needs in a motor many vary on the efficiency of the system and what kind of torque/rpm numbers that you want. Most of the motors spec'd for tattooing are gonna need at least 8,000rpm, more like 10-12k if you want it to be a zippy liner, more torque if you wanna pack with large mags. The 17x23mm size is a pretty popular choice but ive seen everything from 12x19 up to 23x46. Everybody building rotary are currently using brushed motors as you need to have special circuitry or power supplies for brushless(which are hopefully the near future as they are way better). Maxon, faulhaber, nanco and escap are on the high end of the spectrum as they use ball bearings and quality parts. Mabuchi motors are a staple for many popular uses so even though they are of a lower quality than the others, they are made by the millions(in China now, they used to be made in Japan). Since the cost is so low the overall value is quite good and they tend to be reliable workhorses at the cost of a bit of smoothness, rpms, and lifespan. They also use a 'flat' can as opposed to round. Also 12volt motors are the most popular, followed by 6v and some 3v(like special technique and workhorse irons)
    Last edited by Sage Oz; 01-29-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    im cuious about the nanci. i have a nicks rotary that has one and it is great. quieter than a neo tat.. im curious of there specs .

Post Thanks / Like
    not nanci.lol.. nanco

5. Like R0st0ck liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check out their website and see. Sometimes you can also find a few on eBay from the model locomotive guys...

Post Thanks / Like
    o really im gonna look into it right now. I have used a maxom bishop, a mabuchi neotat, that nanco nicks nicks rotary for me seems to be better that is just an opinion.. also i was lookin into the rotary works motor and they are for model helicopters i believe those are great also and dont cost much

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sage thanks for the great info been doing a little research since i dropped the post and a few people said similar info so thanks, i read on one link something about using a 5watt motor is this correct or has someone made a typo as not many have Watt info on their sites, does anyone know what brand Dale at Rotary works uses as he keeps his costs down and yet my RW have been great so far, thanks
    Also any UK stockist/EU anyone knows of, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines rotaryworks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi dude you want me put on here the motors or pm you ?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dale if you could PM me that would be great much appreciated

12. Like Panos tattoo liked this post.