Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Dropping Out - Machines Running Weak

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, my machines tend to slow down over the course of a session. Usually longer sessions but sometimes it's right off the bat. I feel like I've really covered my bases between machines, power supplies, and rca cords. I have literally spent thousands of dollars trying to rectify this issue. I have been using rotaries almost exclusively for the last year. I have experienced this problem w/ my Stigma Bizarre, Spektra Halo, Bishop Capo, DK MC-13; so it can't be the machines right? I sent the first 3 machines listed back to the builder to address the issue. The fix seemed to help w/ the Halo and Bizarre so I though it might actually be the fault of the machines. But my Capo seems to run just as bad as it did before I sent it in. And my Cranker is brand new so I decided not to send it back until I've tried to figure out what the real problem is.

I use a CX-2R w/ the wireless pedal. I also switch to my hardwired GEM pedal intermittently just to make sure it isn't the wireless pedal but no love. I also have a middle of the road National power supply which doesn't seem to help. Actually it does help sometimes. When my machine starts bogging down I'll switch from the Critical to the National and it will run better, but only sometimes, and only for a short period of time before the machine starts running slower again. My machines will intermittently go from running too slow and under powered to full tilt for short bursts. This would seem to indicate that the ps is to blame so I have also sent my Critical supply back to be serviced but that didn't help either.

And lastly Clipcords; I've gone through nearly 20 RCA cords in the last year. I've purchased Al Brodeur's premium cord, Eikon, Needlejig's new cord, Talon's, Radio Shack cheapos and a few other cheapos. Some of the above mentioned seemed to rectify the problem but went bad very quickly. Some of them didn't help at all. I've even run an extension cord from my co-worker's outlet to make sure that I wasn't just using a bad outlet but to no avail. I'm on my way to pick up a UPS Surge Protector, which for those of you who don't know is a power strip w/ a battery that holds a charge and distributes clean power w/o the drops and spikes of power from the outlet. I doubt this will fix the problem but I don't know what else to do.

I assume that whatever the cause of the problem is will be unlikely as I've got top of the line everything, but something has to give. I'm ready to cry and just give up sometimes. When they're running really bad the client can hear and feel the difference in the machines consistency. Not to mention that it slows down my work. I've been dealling w/ this for a year now! Please Help! I'm at a complete loss??? Two bad power supplies? 4 bad machines? 20 bad RCA cords? What gives?

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe it has to do with your shops elecricity,, maybe faulty wiring some where id call an electrician

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably not a bad idea Tattood. It still bothers me that my Halo is running well and seemingly unaffected by the unknown problem. Is it a matter of compatibility? Anyone else have trouble running a Capo or MC-13 on a Critical?
    Last edited by PAWNJOB; 04-02-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines peezie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just by reading your post. It seems it's not a hardware or power issue as you said it still didn't work while using your coworkers line (I assume your coworker tattooed fine). Might be dry gunk(ink, vasoline etc.) clogging your tips causing strain to your machines. What do you use to lubricate the skin? What type of tubes do you use? This information needs to be known to troubleshoot online.

Post Thanks / Like
    ink type also would help. powder based (type thats thick and gummy usually) or predispersed ink. Brands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also tight rubberbands causing your machines to overwork. I dunno, these are just thoughts that im throwing out there.

Account Removed at Users Request.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah its the wiring for your shop without a doubt... You have covered all the quality equiptment needed..

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ exactly with all the high end gear u have there is no doubt u have looked into the ink, rubberband, and possible clogging issue.. i wood take my set up home and see how it runs there..

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed wiring
    Owner/Artist Living Dead Tattoo Studio, Las Vegas.
    Instagram: #mickwrath
    www.livingdeadtattoo.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to agree with the guys on your wiring, as i had the same issue over the last few months changed every thing to see if that was the issue new supply every thing then one night i was working late drawing up for the next day when the lights started to flash like the exercist had entered the studio, on checking the fuse board there was sparks flying from the board and it was the last ass hat gunterd the main fuse and it couldint trip out and lucky i was there or the hole place could have went up and two make it worse it was only a 1pound for a new fuse some mothers do have them, get an electrican in to give your wiring a good going over mate