Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    smooth and consistent can be achived with a round shader even with a liner,it takes some time to learn the trick but it works very good,everything stays in the hand movement
    I don't doubt it for a second.
    The sooner you don't care what other people think about you, the better off you will be. aerochild.com

Senior Member Caleb's Addiction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I intend to keep at it!

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It think you should try some smaller pieces first caleb and get the style down first that you want achieve with rounds-.. Do some simple work that will let you get your lines down, and basic fills/blends with rounds first-then you can start to work line thickness and more advanced details with those rounds.
    It all depends on what type of work your try to do-it seem like your style is more in the cartoon vein-so what speeds/machines/handmotions etc will be something different then say, for example otto work.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean something like this?

Look Slick, I didn't start this thread to trumpet my tattooing mastery. Hell, this isn't even the critique section. But rather to discuss the round shaders and color packing that I've recently discovered.

I've only been tattooing full time since Sep 2012, I know my lines aren't perfect, color saturation and smoothness need improvement. That's why I joined this forum in the first place.

5. Like Everlastingxxx, tattood liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    smooth and consistent can be achived with a round shader even with a liner,it takes some time to learn the trick but it works very good,everything stays in the hand movement
    I totally agree,either it be mags or round shaders,everything is in hand movements..

Post Thanks / Like
    That piece looks great Caleb! Slick & I are trying to help you. We are both actually taking the time to try to help. That is why you joined right? Just say thanks & try to put the advise to use. Nobody is trying to come down on you.
    The sooner you don't care what other people think about you, the better off you will be. aerochild.com

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right Serial. Thanks.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    To say you've only been full time for just less than a year you're doing well. Regarding needle groupings ,I look at it this way, if you walk into an artists' studio ,how many different brushes do you see in how many jars? I use a multitude of needle groupings and they all have their specific use. I use quite a lot of RSs on various jobs especially something like coloring all the individual scales on a dragon or koi, if you used magnums to do things like that you'll send yourself nuts, then I'll probably drop onto a magnum for bigger areas, but then again I've also had great results with big rounds. You have to try to master everything, I've been in this game since 78 ,recently I overheard someone say "that twat could tattoo with a six inch nail" I'm not gonna claim that, but will accept the compliment.

10. Like John liked this post.
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb's Addiction View Post
    I've done two more full color pieces since this post using only 8 and 14 round shaders for the color. I'm way faster now, and getting colors a lot more saturated. These are both pieces in a sleeve design so don't have background yet and are still in progress...

The timepiece is 4 hours total before he tapped and the skull, which I had already lined in a previous session was only 3 1/2 hours to color!

Loving life with these round shaders. Oh and I kicked my mentor in the balls for never having taught me about these during my apprenticeship!
    mags are made for large areas of smooth color.. these tattoos need a second pass badly
    Owner/Artist @ Zodiac Tattoo Studio
    www.facebook.com/zodiac951

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah they do! Hence why I said "in progress" "tapped" and part of sleeve so they'll get hit again.