Post Thanks / Like

Gameboy Battery Power Supply by Owlsden

First, if you haven't seen his posts already Owlsden has been making some cool battery power supplies and a very interesting PWM unit. Look it up, check em out.

When he finished the Gameboy and posted it for sale I picked it up. I have had it for a few weeks and would have posted earlier about it, but a new baby and building a new shop have been eating up all my time (and money .
    Anyway, here goes: I'll keep it short...
    P_20130715_100009.jpg

As you can see, I received the Gameboy, 4 rechargeable batteries, batter charger, "gameboy" rca cable, and a rather funny instruction sheet to go with it.
    Everything was super well packed, with extra care taken to protect the potentiometer, as it is the only part that sticks up off of the unit.

I have used several battery supplies:
    The Swiss Kraft Akku (super nice, super expensive, doesn't run all rotaries (doesn't seem to like stigmas) and limited voltage range: 5.5-9.5
    A custom one similar to the swiss which I got form another forum member (ran all of my machines, and had a better voltage range 4.5-12 or so)
    And the Gameboy, which, for me, is the best of the bunch so far.

Everyone loves this thing. Everyone. People have to ask about it when they see it.
    The gameboy has a functioning voltage range of 3.5-29(!) volts. It has run any machine i tried and should run anything unless the voltage for the machine is super low. I use it to run my Flite v2 at about 17 volts with no problems.
    The original on/off switch still works to turn it on and off. It has a belt clip and is pretty light so wearing it around is easy and comfortable. It has the option of using a foot switch, or running the machine in constant on mode. I always use constant on.
    I have used it quite a bit when i have shorter appointments. I get about three hours out of it when i run the flite on constant on mode. Probably more if i used lower voltage machines. I also use it when i just want to geek out a bit.
    The knob is big and easily accessible, even when bagged, it turns very easily (maybe a little too easily) and lets you fine tune the voltage without cruising past the numbers you were looking for.

The only thing that bothered me a bit is that the potentiometer is above the volt readout which makes it a little tough to view, but it's not a big deal and Owlsden has already addressed that issue in his more recent build.

One great thing about this PS is the customer service and support. I have traded/bought/sold with Owlsden a few times and he has always been a great guy to deal with, but in this case he goes above and beyond. Since this is something he built, he stands behind it 100%. He is super quick to respond to questions or suggestions and has even checked in with me a few times to see how i am getting on with the supply.I have had no problems whatsoever with the Gameboy, but i have no doubt that if I did have an issue he would take care of it asap.

The only thing that could make this cooler would be if i could still play tetris on it. But then i wouldnt get any work done, so maybe it's better this way.
    All in all I am super happy with this deal and the power supply. If he offers more up for sale, get one. You won't be disappointed. This is a great piece of equipment, and a great guy to deal with.
    Thanks man.

I will be happy to answer any questions about the power supply or anything i didnt mention here.

2. Like Dom liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, fantastic review. I feel really lucky to have someone speak so highly of something that I built.

I will be finishing another one soon. Maybe a week out. I have been moving in to a new apartment so tattooing and moving has been enough.

If anyone has any questions I would also be more than happy to answer them as well.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much are these?

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksteel View Post
    How much are these?
    I sold the first one for 140€. Each one will be a little different and the cost on each will be slightly different but my goal is to keep them about 140€.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may look pretty rough, but most of what is left to do is fit and finish. Regardless this is the one I am working on currently. As you can see it has a larger display and the potentiometer is below the screen. I am also limiting the voltage to 18volts on this one. Trying a few things to improve the design.

It still has a way to go, I want to make it cool as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    dude I NEED 1 of these sooo bad!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by throwhammers View Post
    First, if you haven't seen his posts already Owlsden has been making some cool battery power supplies and a very interesting PWM unit. Look it up, check em out.

When he finished the Gameboy and posted it for sale I picked it up. I have had it for a few weeks and would have posted earlier about it, but a new baby and building a new shop have been eating up all my time (and money .
    Anyway, here goes: I'll keep it short...
    P_20130715_100009.jpg

As you can see, I received the Gameboy, 4 rechargeable batteries, batter charger, "gameboy" rca cable, and a rather funny instruction sheet to go with it.
    Everything was super well packed, with extra care taken to protect the potentiometer, as it is the only part that sticks up off of the unit.

I have used several battery supplies:
    The Swiss Kraft Akku (super nice, super expensive, doesn't run all rotaries (doesn't seem to like stigmas) and limited voltage range: 5.5-9.5
    A custom one similar to the swiss which I got form another forum member (ran all of my machines, and had a better voltage range 4.5-12 or so)
    And the Gameboy, which, for me, is the best of the bunch so far.

Everyone loves this thing. Everyone. People have to ask about it when they see it.
    The gameboy has a functioning voltage range of 3.5-29(!) volts. It has run any machine i tried and should run anything unless the voltage for the machine is super low. I use it to run my Flite v2 at about 17 volts with no problems.
    The original on/off switch still works to turn it on and off. It has a belt clip and is pretty light so wearing it around is easy and comfortable. It has the option of using a foot switch, or running the machine in constant on mode. I always use constant on.
    I have used it quite a bit when i have shorter appointments. I get about three hours out of it when i run the flite on constant on mode. Probably more if i used lower voltage machines. I also use it when i just want to geek out a bit.
    The knob is big and easily accessible, even when bagged, it turns very easily (maybe a little too easily) and lets you fine tune the voltage without cruising past the numbers you were looking for.

The only thing that bothered me a bit is that the potentiometer is above the volt readout which makes it a little tough to view, but it's not a big deal and Owlsden has already addressed that issue in his more recent build.

One great thing about this PS is the customer service and support. I have traded/bought/sold with Owlsden a few times and he has always been a great guy to deal with, but in this case he goes above and beyond. Since this is something he built, he stands behind it 100%. He is super quick to respond to questions or suggestions and has even checked in with me a few times to see how i am getting on with the supply.I have had no problems whatsoever with the Gameboy, but i have no doubt that if I did have an issue he would take care of it asap.

The only thing that could make this cooler would be if i could still play tetris on it. But then i wouldnt get any work done, so maybe it's better this way.
    All in all I am super happy with this deal and the power supply. If he offers more up for sale, get one. You won't be disappointed. This is a great piece of equipment, and a great guy to deal with.
    Thanks man.

I will be happy to answer any questions about the power supply or anything i didnt mention here.
    This looks amazing man!!! have fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    dude I NEED 1 of these sooo bad!!!!
    If you are interested I could build one for you. Either the Red one that I am currently working on or a Grey one. I can also do my best to fit the specs to what you need. For instance if you don't need a foot pedal connect, and only want constant on. Or if you want to wear it on your left side and want the clip cord connect on the other side. Etc etc, I think you get the idea.