Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

NeoTat getting noisy..

I was hoping someone could maybe give me some insight on this. I have an OG NeoTat 3.5 stroke and I can't seem to figure out what the issue that I am having is. I will explain the best I can. when running unloaded it is smooth and silent from 6v to 11.5v no problem at all, but when it is loaded It gets loud and chatters around 8v+ almost sounds like it is out of balance or there is a clearance issue somewhere.. I have tried to lube it a per the maintenance guide. I also ran it with no tube just a needle on it and found that it ran smooth until I put even the slightest pressure on the needle bar it would start to get loud.. Thanks For taking the time to read this and I hope someone may be able to give some insight

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    check the stayup spring i have had them were they are broken in half but still look like one part.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    What he said. If that doesn't work take the motor out and see if it has any wobble on the cam or if the set screw loosened up. Could be a bad bearing. If it seems fine then the slider may be worn. I'm sure rjdaddio will be happy to help if u pm him. Should run fine w the stay up spring removed till u get a new on if that's what it is.

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the spring would be my first guess, when it makes noise when loaded...a weak or broke spring. Do you have the small pack that came with your machine? there would be an extra spring.....if not, please contact us and we will get one out to you. - Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all the replies guys I will check the spring just got back to the shop.. and yes rjdadio I do have the extra spring with it.. I will let ya know how it goes changing it. there is also what looks like a little wear on the backside of the slide you can kind of see it when the slide is up and at rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use it for every tattoo at about 9.6 to 10.2 volts for lining and packing. it runs about 40 hrs a week so it gets used quite a bit. I just ordered a couple weeks ago a 4.2 vivace just waiting for the call to tell me its on the way lol then that one will be the liner and my 3.5 will be for blends and small mags..

Post Thanks / Like
    no luck on the spring change. it helped a little but still noisy and getting warmer than normal. my 2.5 is barley warm after a couple hours and this one is getting warm after about 5 minutes.. if I don't bend the needles at the solder joint its fairly quiet but if I put just a little bend in there to keep the needles in the bottom of the tube then it gets loud.. I was thinking maybe the pressure is pulling something out of alignment or putting to much pressure on the motor or bearings.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    id send it in. it shouldn't be this much of an issue. I can bend my needles a great deal with no adverse effects. id say that the slide is worn. id let ray take a look so nothing gets worse. better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah for sure!!! I'll message him

Post Thanks / Like
    best way to get at them is just to call, good luck

TapTatDaddio / NeoTat.com
    137 S Miami Avenue
    Suite 1
    Miami, Arizona 85539
    USA

Telephone: +1 928 473 4185