I picked up pretty quickly to lining with rotaries . I started using them off and on toward the end of my first year tattooing and for the longest time I lined with a mini hm evolution and shaded and color with coils . Bass akwards from most ppl that use coils and rotaries together but it made since to me to line with a rotary because of the lack of a bog down when you set the needle to skin which is what I hated about my coil liners . I think I went through five coil liners during my first year trying to find one I liked and was comfy using and finally said fuk it and took a gamble on a rotary and fell in love. I had quite a collection of coils since I was apprenticed and worked under a machine builder and went to conventions regularly for a while picking up a machine here and there but once I started using rotaries more I never touched my coil machines and then the whole collection was stolen from me (that's a story for another thread) and was left with only six rotary machines (two of them knok offs that I was embarrassed to use) and no money to buy more machines so I got comfy with rotaries fast haha and now I have a few more and have a strong desire to build a dd or something this winter during our down time. Just figure out a good voltage that allows the motor to spin fast enough but not over do it and learn to engage your lines (especially with a linear or no give style machine) instead of floating like you would with coils. My problem was I was hessitant to engage a line because I never want to go deep an have a blow out so I found myself getting weak ass lines and finally I said fuck it and started putting the needle right on in and pulled (not slamming in deep just being more affirmative) and found my happy place and now I'm pretty comfy and confident with line work which gave me a hard time for so long