Yo!

I thought I should share my latest project, my 3D printed machines!
Right around christmas I figured I should by myself a 3D printer, had no idea what I could use it for, but it didn't take long before I started some drawings in Sketchup for machineframes.
I have been building coilmachines and rotaries for about 3 years now, with mixed results. But now, I'm onto something.

The machines are printed in four parts; Vice, vicescrew, motorbody and the "custom" backplate.
And the process takes about 2-3 hours printing in total, and with my setup, it requires a bit of finishing, sanding, grinding and polish. I guess one machine takes about 6-7hours to make.
Parts are printed in PLA (sugar/corn-based plastic, gives a nice stone-ish feel and look when sanded and polished, its even environmental friendly, like I care when I'm driving around with my Ford Bronco 302..)

Motor is the Mabuchi RK-370CA, cant remember the specs right now, but it runs great around 8volts.

My goal with this project was to be able to find the perfect rotary liner, that fits my way of tattooing. And I think I've succeeded.
I have used a couple of prototypes for 5-6months now, and they are still giving a nice punch!
Primary for old school, bold and solid.

Gives nice lines with 3-5-7-9, and whips awesome with 9-11-15mag. The cam wheel is chinamade, until i get the bucks to buy myself a small lathe, and has a 4.5mm stroke.

I haven't seen anyone print rotarys before, only some halfass coil-frames, that I do not think is any good, vibrations, cracks, heat etc. And big and ugly.

The design I have come up with is more practical than visual, easy to disassemble, replace parts and clean. Designwise it is kinda difficult to design something that's easy to print, without many hours of cleaning etc.

So, anyone that thinks this could be something?
I want to spend more money on swiss motors, but then the total cost would be to high, and I really think the Mabuchis are great.

I hope you likeylike!

-Kristoffer, Sail Away Tattoo, Drammen, Norway

Here are some pics!

bilde.jpgimage.jpgimage(1).jpgimage(2).jpg