Just picked up a whip a few days ago and I have found even with the hard clip set at its stiffest setting, is just to soft for me. Its funny because the more I use rotaries especially the fancier more expensive ones. the more I find I really just want direct strike. I have played with almost all of the machines on the market and the ones that are adjustable almost always end up on the hardest setting. I realize this all comes down to how the individual artist works, hand speed and what not, and my opinion really doesn't matter because its just that, mine. But I was curious to see if rotaries have brought out a cleaner more technical side of your tattooing as well? Like for instance sort of forcing you to learn how to put ink in the right way the first time. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate give in a machine but it has to have some punch behind it. The specific and centri are the first that come to mind as far as a nice strike that can back off a little but still deliver pigment and not just poke unnecessary holes.