Threaded View

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Trying Mini-Evolution Some More

I have a client who came in with an illustration of a dragon that he wanted tattooed on his back. He's been a champ and sits really well. Today I had the chance to try out my experimental Mini-Evolution some more. Roman prefers it for lining, and I wanted to see how it did with some coloring and shading. It's meant for smaller configurations - up to 9's. I tried it with a 7mag today so that I could get into some of the little spots. I had another machine set up for the larger, 11mag.

**Sorry if the dog head is distracting - I post these to Tumblr, which go onto facebook, and they're such a 'pain in the ass' (nyuk nyuk!) about butts being visible.

tony dragon photo doggie .jpg

What really surprised me was the amount of give it had. It was really interesting. If you check out the front of the armature bar, you'll notice something very unique about this machine. It's got a swivel. I wasn't sure how it would affect the feel of tattooing, but it truly felt unusual for a rotary machine.

mini evolution detail.jpg

Now, I honestly can't remember the last time I picked up a coil to do any black and grey. Seriously, it's been a long time. I'm almost afraid they are rusting from lack of use! lol I've become very accustomed to the 'no give' feel of working with rotaries. I like how they can be adjusted with voltage, and I don't have to mess around with contact screws and spring tensions. This rotary REALLY reminded me of the way a coil machine feels! (or felt, I should say. haha)

It behaved very much like a coil - even when I got to the 'squishy parts' on my client, I was reminded of the way I used to stretch the skin to accommodate the give in a coil machine. It was kind of neat - but so much lighter than a coil!

I'm looking forward to using it a lot more and pushing this little machine's limits. It's very cool.
    Last edited by Alie K; 02-23-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    Not too bad for a GIRL, eh?