Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Theory...and i don't know how...

Ok, so I got to wondering about needle speed (NOT HPS), and how to get past needle hang up, and if it is wanted.

So first, it seems quite obvious that when converting rotational force to linear, that the speed will come to a dead stop at both end of the linear travel. The shorter the stroke, the more TIME the needle is in the skin regardless of HPS. A traditional machine on the contrary is not so affected by stroke length, as the snap and speed of the needle IN THE SKIN, in a properly tuned coil machine, relies solely on the rear spring tension (coil stick feels odly like running a rotary). So to minimize skin hang up using a rotary (i come across this while i bg shade as well as lining on occasion), it would seem to make sense to run a longer stroke than common in a coil machine, which is what one typically sees in rotaries anyhow. However, this longer stroke would most be benefited to lining, paradoxical to a coil machine. My question is, has anyone actually measured needle speed of a coil machine at skin depth portion of the cycle given what so be the hps? 50% duty does not equate to the speed either, for this simply indicates contact times between points. Further, has anyone tried, be it vibrating as hell, something like a 6 or 7mm stroke length? I think special tech has done some crazy long strokes. Ever tried for lining? This long stroke regardless of hps will increase needle speed in the portion of the cycle, insanely fast at 45d and 135d of the cycle, but mimic more the speed at the business ends of the needle. Just a thought.

also, wasn't really sure where to put this post.
    Last edited by Barrett Russell; 10-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    biglug.ca