Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turnrock View Post
    Repstraps are the rad,theres some group in Africa literally making them out of trash/e-waste they get at the dump.shoot as long as the prints look good.
    iden your prints do look smooth,did you give them an acetone bath?

I used my commercial 3d printer to print most of the parts to make a Tantillus http://www.tantillus.org/Home.html. Yup you can 3d print a 3d printer.welcome to the future.
    Oh yes!
    It´s cool to make something out of what you got, and actually get a pretty decent product with it.
    Most of mye coilmachines that I have built are from scrapmetal, coins, keys and whatever. Even made my own coilcores from 8mm bolts, haha.

The rotarys are printed in PLA, easy to sand down with fine grit, some filing and polish. ABS feels too plastic imo. PLA gives a more stoneish-feel to it all assembled.

Yeah, I have downloaded the files for the Tantillus, thats where I got the inspiration to use fishing line from. Too bad they stopped selling that printer..
    I have a couple small printers i mind for 2015 that looks pretty good.
    Next year will be a big boom of small and affordable printers I think!

Post Thanks / Like

Updates!

I´ve got some updates for you!
    Last week I designed a frame that is a bit more friendly to finish after printing. The one you have seen has a lot og edges in the motor-frame-part, and gives me a hard time to file and sand down properly. So I reworked a round motorframe, and this is al lot easier to give a nice polished surface with no layers visible.

Here is the difference between raw printed and processed, not polished, only filed and sanded.
    IMG_3692.jpg

I´ve also made a couple of machines for my brothers at Sail Away to play with:
    IMG_3677.jpgIMG_3682.jpgIMG_3683.jpg

The next step now is to finish up a couple of prototypes to sell to a couple of my fellow tattooers here in Norway.
    If the feedback is to my expectations, I´ll start a small production of this design, all numbered and signed.
    And all of the bolts, nuts and screws will be brass and metric.

I´m not shure what price I´m landing on yet, but my guess is around 320USD or 2000NOK plus shipping for this version. There will be a limited range of colours and the will also be a custom one off line.

And finally i came up with a name for this: PLA-STIK. (Printed in PLA and its plastic, awesome!)

I hope you laaik!