There really is no guarantee that wrapping a grip and wiping it down afterwards properly cleans it and there is no guarantee that using a diaphragm cart is going to prevent contaminates getting up inside the machine . There is no possible way of guaranteeing that, as there are no indicators of any form telling you sterilization has been achieved unlike using an autoclave. The plunger part of the cartridge that goes inside these machines are so easy to contaminate as they are on your contaminated work station and something could get on them without you even noticing. I could be wrong but I thought I remember seeing, I believe it was an FK Irons video, with the owner saying he doesn't get tattooed at conventions anymore b/c he sees a lot of people using non disposable grips and just wiping them off between clients. Weren't they selling a Delrin RPG grip that couldn't be ran in an ultrasonic cleaner or autoclaved and their instructions were to wrap it and wipe it down afterwards?

I think us every day tattooers, whose livelihood depends on our work, reputation and ability to run a clean shop need to use our heads when it comes to some of these new products coming out. After all, if you start using one of these new machines that you are unsure of how sanitary you can keep it and produce a slew of infected tattoos with it, your client isn't going to be blaming the machine builder, it's going to be your reputation getting damaged.

I've used pen machines before because they were the new thing and everyone was saying you're good to go if you autoclave the grips and clean the cartridge housing part of the machine with a cold sterilant and Q-tip, etc, etc. But I really had to sit back and think to myself there are many other awesome machines out I could be using that takes this "what if" completely out of the equation.

Bottom line is, don't take some of these builders word as gospel especially if it contradicts what you already know about cross contamination and clean work area. They got a business to run and that business is selling shit to make money.

I recently purchased my own tools and equipment and have been building my own machines because I am honestly over it. I'm over the crap shoot of spending $500+ on some of these stupid machines that are labeled as the "be all, end all" of tattoo equipment to get it and it either sucks or version 2 or 6 comes out a month later.

I'm no master welder or machinist but it is a liberating feeling knowing I can make my own machine, built to the parameters I know I like at any time I want to for less than $150 and will yield results I am happy with. It makes me sick thinking about how much money I've spent chasing that golden tattoo machine goose.