PDA

View Full Version : a skull for xmas

redrichie
12-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Wacom cintic 12wx. photoshop. about 8 hours total. might still go in a do a bit here and there. might not.

cagelavey
12-25-2013, 10:35 PM
looks cool homie! I love digital painting. I watched this vid of some kat doing Morgan Freeman, looked like a damn photo. so much amazing shit can be done with digital. real nice piece bro. merry Christmas

redrichie
12-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Merry Christmas. I like all forms that get me to where I want to be. I've seen the Morgan Freeman. Not sure of its legitimacy . The guy who did it is a bad ass painter. But I've been reading and he may have started with the photo. Smoothed it out. Painted over it in reverse. Then played back the video. Or he is truly a prodigy and did it. Either way it's good.

Bully Jey
12-26-2013, 10:59 AM
I like that.

redrichie
12-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you sir. Just printed a proof copy in its native 12x18 size. Brought up a good point. When doing digital be sure to zoom way in. Smooth out or put that extra bit of texture in there. Once you print the size you want those details you overlook on the screen pop out in print. So if it's a little fuzzy or undefined make sure you fix that stuff before putting the stamp of done on it.

redrichie
12-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Any critiques anyone. Tell me what's wrong or what's right

(Opted Out)
12-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Honestly mate i have now studied it closely and it is fantastic and don't have a bad word to say about it... But as you have asked for critique the only little thing i would say as a standalone piece or as a tattoo design is maybe some more black and dark tones but that's being hugely picky.. Just say 5% more contrast but that's the only nitpicky thing i can offer up. As it is its still fantastic!!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925

redrichie
12-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Actually you bring up another point. The values on my cintiq are differentthan they aappear on other monitors. It is darker on mine. But I know what you are saying. The framing of the piece makes it a hard thing to place as a tattoo unless other things were added around it.. Painted to hang in the shop. I'll take it to office Depot and have them print it on a canvas.

Jaytrials
12-26-2013, 03:34 PM
My cintiq has the same issue. Nice job!

redrichie
12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah its a known issue. In order to print better you have to learn about color profiles and shit. Pain in the ass.

redrichie
12-26-2013, 10:52 PM
smoothed and revised. Hopefully this will be final time. blowing up to actual print size of 12x18 revealed lots of flaws.

FTW
12-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Nice piece, great detail...sweet!

evlink2006
12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
If you are going to be printing digital art as a serious endeavor you need one of these http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/category.aspx?ca=2 you must get your monitor and your printer calibrated correctly for color match.

redrichie
12-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Absolutely evlink. I used to work for a graphic design print house. Calibrating is very helpful. But color profiles change from printer to printer and there are hundreds of combinations. I try to keep it simple and try to keep my colors as true as possible as the stroke I painted. Calibrating is a big deal though. Must get one for home.