PDA

View Full Version : why i need a startup cable for the thunder?

Zbel
09-08-2014, 02:31 AM
hey guys .. i have a critical (the small one) power supply,
and i use the thunder with a startup cable - i just wonder what
that cable is doing??

thanks

cagelavey
09-08-2014, 12:17 PM
it sends a 12v. charge to the thunder, like a lil spark, to kick start the machine to enable you to run the machine at lower volts. ive heard of people using the thunder without the start-up cable while using t-tech cartridges, because there isn't as much tension in those particular carts. just makes it to where you don't have to turn up the volts to start the machine, that's all.

Zbel
09-09-2014, 03:54 AM
ahhaaa its a jumpstart cable thing.. it makes sence ..
i think im am going to have a look at the cx2 g2 from critical - it should work with the thunder without the jumpstarter...

denrbyn
09-09-2014, 04:28 AM
just convert it to rca you will love it even more

Zbel
09-09-2014, 07:41 AM
ahaa .. so why wil a conversion get rid of the jumpstarter?

cagelavey
09-09-2014, 08:06 AM
I use t-techs with the thunder and a cx1-g2 and don't need the start up cable. but when people convert to rca, I believe they remove the lil circuit board that limits the thunder from starting at higher than 13 volts. If I understand this correctly, removing that circuit board may effect the ability to start at lower volts in some way, im not sure. in any event I use t-techs and the thunder starts at 6.4v without start-up cable

Ofeloner
09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
I converted mine to rca and it works soooo mutch better than before. I can run it super low volts, or super high.

Jack Steel
09-10-2014, 06:33 AM
its a 9volt motor , so watch out you dont overdo it ;)

No Iron Machines
09-11-2014, 08:28 AM
jack, why on CHEYYENN website they say the THUNDER can run up to 12 volts ????

skullsugar@lucky13
09-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah remove the chip and phono lead starts cheyenne carts at 6v

asa_castle
09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
^^I've heard this sort of thing. Basically, all rotaries with special equipment required have a chip making it so. Just remove this chip and resolder the connections and it's good to go with anything.

Zbel
09-18-2014, 01:28 AM
So what your saying is that if i remove the chip i can run cheyenne carts without the jumpstart cable??

Tattoo junk
09-23-2014, 06:07 AM
Hey guys,

im not using a foot switch and run the ems 400, my thunder sometimes start with a cart in it sometimes it doesnt, iff not then i pull the cart out for one sec and it runs and i push it in while running, i run it between 10 and 11 depending...it doesnt bother me at al...its a matter of a second.

i think using a footswitch with most power supplies it makes you need a startcable...or iff you use your footswitch as a on off button just pull the cart out and push it in

i love the thin lightweight cable of the cheyenne, when using 2 machines it sucks because the others dont have that awesome lightweight short cable , that rca plug is way to big and heavy and long most of the time

i would love to see some solutions for using both together, the cheyennes jack and rca, or a switch, i hate switching cables!!

i dont wanna open my cheyenne and make a conversion and make it even longer with an rca cable.
For example the shape/balance of the flite v2 is great untill you put the rca in...the whole shape is gone

I think it should be possible to make that rca plug short and lightweight.

Am i the onlyone feeling like this???

Jack Steel
09-23-2014, 10:20 AM
the *chip * you guys is a cirquit board stopping any current over 12volt going in to the motor ...
thats all ...

as far as making a shorter RCA its not on the market , because the male lead of the rca is also calculated on the length of the recieving part of the rca.

Patrick
09-23-2014, 10:34 AM
I make my own RCA cords and use some pretty thin material that holds up just fine. Not quite as light as the Cheyenne cord but close. I'll take a pic when I get to the shop today.

Patrick
09-23-2014, 02:22 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/23/624bc0adcce691a23b7ff271487e996c.jpg
Very lightweight and easy to make on the cheap.

Tattoo junk
09-24-2014, 08:12 PM
@Jacksteel then thats why i think those rc's suck hahah...they (need) to be way to big and heavy...i think the smaller jacks are great iff people get them to deliver enough constand power for every rotary it would be an advantage...iff cheyenne get there powerfull thunder to run smooth with it.

why using that big rc with that thick heavy non flexible cable that disbalance a lightweight machine instead of a 90 degree or regular lil jack plug?

@Bizarro12 that flite v2 shape is like every rotary again when sticking that long ass rc cable in it...the 90 degrees rc is probably a lil better for the flite.

Btw the lighter cheaper rc cables tend to break fast, sometimes your lucky but i hate when it hapends in a piece halfway

iff i wanna use my thunder and flite on a piece for a diffrent setup i need to switch cables and i think that sucks!!!

cagelavey
09-24-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm telling you bishops cord is light weight(not Cheyenne light weight) very well made product, best cord I've ever used honestly, would be cool if he made a 90° as an option though for just such issues

Tattoo junk
09-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm telling you bishops cord is light weight(not Cheyenne light weight) very well made product, best cord I've ever used honestly, would be cool if he made a 90° as an option though for just such issues

Its nice bishop made a lighter version of the rc, i guess franco feels me just a little on this one hahahaa
I never had a problems with cheyennes cables and i ride my chair a 100times over that lil cable.
I would change all my machines to jack iff this is possible...and easy

Ofeloner
09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Mod yer Cheyenne to RCA" It runs way way smoother with no jumpo fucko cable" get the Bishop rca cord..and yer fuckin set!!! The cord is light as fuck and isnt gonna brake easy,, and as the great Zohan would say,, the material is silky smooth,,it doesn't snag on anything , best rca cord I've ever used..

cagelavey
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
I run my thunder un-modded, with the mono jack without a startup cable using t-tech and cx1-v2 critical ps and have absolutely no issues starting it at around 6v. I cant see the reason for the start-up cable unless it is a power supply issue? My ps starts the Cheyenne carts at around 8v (and I would never even use it below that voltage) with no problem either. So my thinking is certain power supplies have an issue starting the thunder at lower volts, right? But that is also what has me puzzled. See everyone says that the motor isn’t any stronger than the maxon 216000 and that its about it being dd as apposed to linear w/give, etc., that makes the difference in the feel of how it runs. That this is what somehow makes the power feel different. Then why is there an issue with certain ps starting the thunder at lower volts? When say the spektra direkt has no issues in the same regard, (that im aware of)? I genuinely am just curious and confused as to why the thunder has an issue starting at lower voltage, especially if it being a dd like the direkt, (which I use as example just because they are similar in function/motor) why there would be a difference if the motors are similar in torque, cps, etc., and are both dd machines?

Tattoo junk
09-26-2014, 04:49 AM
Mod yer Cheyenne to RCA" It runs way way smoother with no jumpo fucko cable" get the Bishop rca cord..and yer fuckin set!!! The cord is light as fuck and isnt gonna brake easy,, and as the great Zohan would say,, the material is silky smooth,,it doesn't snag on anything , best rca cord I've ever used..

Wow i never had a problem with my eikon and thunder, but i never used one witch rca, if bishop make the 90 degree version i buy it for the flite...

Ofeloner
09-26-2014, 08:51 AM
I run my thunder un-modded, with the mono jack without a startup cable using t-tech and cx1-v2 critical ps and have absolutely no issues starting it at around 6v. I cant see the reason for the start-up cable unless it is a power supply issue? My ps starts the Cheyenne carts at around 8v (and I would never even use it below that voltage) with no problem either. So my thinking is certain power supplies have an issue starting the thunder at lower volts, right? But that is also what has me puzzled. See everyone says that the motor isn’t any stronger than the maxon 216000 and that its about it being dd as apposed to linear w/give, etc., that makes the difference in the feel of how it runs. That this is what somehow makes the power feel different. Then why is there an issue with certain ps starting the thunder at lower volts? When say the spektra direkt has no issues in the same regard, (that im aware of)? I genuinely am just curious and confused as to why the thunder has an issue starting at lower voltage, especially if it being a dd like the direkt, (which I use as example just because they are similar in function/motor) why there would be a difference if the motors are similar in torque, cps, etc., and are both dd machines?

I think that Cheyenne did this all just to make an extra buck off us...made the machine so that people had to either pay extra for a magic cord, or you'd hafta purchase one of there power supplys...creepy business man tactics..

Jack Steel
09-27-2014, 09:41 AM
right on the money !