PDA

View Full Version : Coil liner problem

Scentless Apprentice
11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
I just bought a new coil liner off of a local builder here in NZ, but I can't get it to run properly. For starters, I generally have to flick the a bar to get it started, and then if I touch the nipple with any kind of pressure, it stops completely rather than bogging down. If I do this a couple of times, I won't run for a few minutes. While it is running though, it runs very strong and fast, about 150hz, but at around 70% duty. I also left it running yesterday to see what would happen, it ran solidly for 12 minutes before kinda fizzling out, and then I was unable to start it for a few minutes.

I'm going to have to send it back to the builder, but I'd love to hear what you guys think is wrong with it. I have tried it on four different power supplies, with the same or worse results. All input is much appreciated :)

artoftatt2
11-06-2012, 02:50 PM
First thing would be do not spend money with that guy anymore ..

artoftatt2
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Spring tension and throw is probably off also check which way the capacitor is wired ..

Eikonic
11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
How much gap is between the rear coil and the a-bar?
Even with a bad cap machines usually still run they just throw a lot more spark.
Does it help if you crank the voltage up?
if it has hand wound coils (without using the plastic bobbin), some times people use washers and tape the center core, when they do this the tape (usually masking tape) some times gets stressed and the coils short on the core after they heat up.

My guess is the a-bar isn't close enough to the rear coil to be inside the magnetic field of pull, prob just needs a shim under the coils....( guessing.. do to the "flick" you say you have to do to get it started)

edit. also check the contact for any foreign debri, hit the bottom of it with a small file a couple times just to clean it up. brass sucks.
I use copper or silver, cost more but worth it..

skinmech
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Start with the basics...Poss needs de-magnetized...Hit it with the Blade of a Screwdriver......I ain't shitting you..

vodu
11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
if you post a pic/video will be a lot easier to see, because just for saying could be a bazillion things....use the miracle of tecnology in your favor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_Ts5fMVho

devans
11-06-2012, 04:13 PM
I would say to much presure on the back spring is all. The coils are strugling to pull it down. Then when you touch the nipple you add enough resistance to stop it again. But without seing it and all the gaps/pessures.............its hard to say mate.

jesoner79
11-06-2012, 04:25 PM
duty cycle is too high and then tension on the back spring is too much so the coils are overworked replace rear spring and retune

Stripe
11-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Start with the basics...Poss needs de-magnetized...Hit it with the Blade of a Screwdriver......I ain't shitting you..
Great trick to do with a new guy that is having a rough running machine. I give it a bang on the stainless countertop and they look at me like I'm nuts. Then their machine runs like a top. I always like to give it some time to sink in before I explain why and how it works...

Scentless Apprentice
11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks so much for the input guys! Much appreciated. I definitely think the spring has too much tension, I ran the guy when I first got it, and he said it was running fine when he had it, but to send it back if I couldn't get it running. Here is a video of the machine running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnxbE2pMDQ

Wonderland
11-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Looks like way too much spring tension also if I may say the distance from the armature to the spring saddle looks too short as well. May need some spec there as well, maybe cut the armature a little shorter to increase that distance. If you like the machine and it is worth the hassle.

jesoner79
11-07-2012, 01:15 AM
its a long stroke geometry the distance from the back of the armature bar is ok but just replace the back spring u should be able to get it running right or u could send it to me and ill do it just pay the shipping

hendricksonart.com
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Take the back spring off straighten it gently with your fingers put it back on the armature bar with front spring. Use the enlightenment tool to put every thing back. Tighten it up. Take your front binder off and pull armature up a little bit just a we bend. Put binder with contact screw back on and that should fix it. But at this point you need to know how much tension you prefer in your liners something you should already know in my opinion. But like others said your duty is to high tension is to high going up. You need to get your duty back down to 50-55

serial1313
11-07-2012, 12:03 PM
You shouldn't have to work on a new machine to make it work. Send it back! Use your money on a known quality machine.

Inkslingers
11-07-2012, 04:03 PM

On a brand new machine? i doubt very seriously that's the problem...

Scentless Apprentice
11-07-2012, 04:43 PM
its a long stroke geometry the distance from the back of the armature bar is ok but just replace the back spring u should be able to get it running right or u could send it to me and ill do it just pay the shipping

Thanks so much for the offer bro! And cheers for the info from everyone else too. However I have decided to send it back. I'm pretty sure it's the back spring that is causing the problem, I was going to re-spring it myself, but since I have no spare springs lying around I just sent it back.

serial1313
11-07-2012, 04:52 PM
If you bought a new car & it didn't run you would be pissed & would return it immediately. Am I right? I would expect a builder to test a machine before selling it to me.

skinmech
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
On a brand new machine? i doubt very seriously that's the problem...

My Bad, you are correct...I read it wrong, I didn't think it was a Brand New Machine...