PDA

View Full Version : Ego vice fix...

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Ok so this is for those of you who do not like the Egos vice. It is a very simple fix and will cost you a whole 6 cents US. Any hardware store with an array of nuts and bolts will have this screw. I chose case hardened but you can get stainless too. just replace the vice screw and you dont have to hold the screw head anymore with your finger. It will not move and locks up really secure with no play. This head on the screw works flawless and the size is: M4 .7, 16. I've been nothing but impressed with the Ego the quality is amazing, the function is as well and damn it feels like you are just tattooing with the tube in your hand because the machine is so light! So if the vice was your worry fear not as long as you have 6 cents handy. Mick-

johndameart
03-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Very nice!

Tengu315
03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I noticed we kind of have the same taste in machines mick , so if you like the ego, I think I'm gona get one..
Man I feel like I just watched an episode of Mob wives... With that other thread..
I'm glad it's over.

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Haha ditto, yeah def try it out man, the quality is top notch and seriously the plastic is so well made it just feels like a solid machine. The vice hole is tight in tolerance with the tube stem diameters, its the most perfect fit i have come across...and with this screw it locks up as tight as a dolphins butthole. The give system works amazing and if you don't want give, then 2 rubber black triangles are as solid as any no give machine. I've had amazing results lining with her with black in the front and yellow in the rear of the post. It's my lining combo for sure. There are alot of combos to go through so I'm still playing with it for coloring an shading. I really like the black in front for a solid quick retraction of the needle and the other colors I've been using accordingly in the rear of the post depending on how much give I want. This system is working amazingly. After the screw change I honestly think it's one of my favorite vices on any of my machines, it's very very secure with minimal tightening. I think Bez just chose the wrong screw and I honestly think he did a phenomenal job on every other aspect on the machine so it's 99% killer! I can live with that with pleasure.

nivek
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
maybe send the post to the makers of ego. If its something enough people mention makes sense to change or at least amke an option

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Honestly it's such a simple fix I'm sure Bez will address it sooner than later. I have faith in him. Till then McFaddendales and 6 cents to swap a screw is good with me. ;-)

nivek
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah no doubt, it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but its pretty obvious some serious time went into developement

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I was hesitant because I'm not the biggest fan of plastic machines but this thing is a different animal. It's as solid as any aluminum machine and it's design is amazing in its form fit and function. It's not a weak flimsy plastic it's as hard as a rock but it's not prone to shatter either. The molding is as clean as something milled on a Swiss CNC. Try a black one nivek and if you hate it I will take her off your hands ;-) I have 2 now, why not 3 lol.

nivek
03-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I was hesitant because I'm not the biggest fan of plastic machines but this thing is a different animal. It's as solid as any aluminum machine and it's design is amazing in its form fit and function. It's not a weak flimsy plastic it's as hard as a rock but it's not prone to shatter either. The molding is as clean as something milled on a Swiss CNC. Try a black one nivek and if you hate it I will take her off your hands ;-) I have 2 now, why not 3 lol.

Really ? you like it that much ? hmm... and yes my biggest issue is the plastic

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Hell yes it can easily run with the big boys Halo, Inkjecta s3, Hyper v3 etc. if the plastic is your biggest concern trust me it's not even close to an issue.

tattood
03-08-2013, 11:13 PM
how loud are these ? and who carries em

MickWrath
03-08-2013, 11:46 PM
They have a little buzz to them going at 8 volts but not too bad at all, nowhere near a coil machine though! She ain't silent but ain't loud either. After 10 years of coils believe me when I say it doesn't bother me one little bit. Tattoo machines now carries them. $380 shipped in the US. A damn excellent price for the performance and quality.

MickWrath
03-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Ok so the triangles being inevitably pulled out when breaking the machine down or changing needles does seen to irritate some people, so another 5 cent alternative is described here. The oem armature post that bez provides has a T shape to fit into the groove below the triangle inserts. This helps when switching triangles but not so much when changing needles. Using a slightly smaller diameter and slightly shorter straight pin will still fit very snug in the triangles and slides out when pulled straight up with a little force leaving the triangles in place. I also found this pin to be adjustable in height and has the ability for more give when set slightly longer out of the triangles than the oem sits, increasing the pivot point and less give when recessed down slightly further than the oem pin decreasing the pivot point. Just more versatility, I've taken the time to get to know the Ego and it is one of my favorites, these are some simple do it yourself alternatives that address the 2 main displeasing aspects for some artists. They aren't necessary but they do help make things easier. Mick-

The Limey
03-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Very cool and simple fix!

MickWrath
03-20-2013, 01:42 PM
So simple Limey! Any hardware store with a decent selection of screws and bolts will have these lil pieces. Why bitch about it when you can fix things for a nickel? Lol

(Opted Out)
03-20-2013, 02:05 PM
This is really good mick, and a great attitude, why do people bitch when u fixed the vice & armature nipple for like $1 .. Good initiative

tattood
03-20-2013, 02:06 PM
So simple Limey! Any hardware store with a decent selection of screws and bolts will have these lil pieces. Why bitch about it when you can fix things for a nickel? Lol

Agreed maybe fixed isnt the right word. lol .. Modified to your liking.. from all i have read there isnt any thing wrong with the ego just needs some adapting. From my rotary experience each one is different as far as set up.. No biggie just something to get used to. For example took my using my rotary works 2-3 times to get rubber band positioning right.. Then got the I.D. and again figured what worked best for that machine.. only took one session.lol.. then my impact im flipping needle over or more of a bend.. just little things for each machine. really isnt a problem at all.. also if u watch BEZ's video showcasing the EGO u can see clearly he uses a finger to keep the vice screw from spinning while tightening the vice

MickWrath
03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Exactly homie. The ego is an amazing machine and people flip machines so fast these days without ever trying to actually use then and see what they can do. I don't get it really. Bez' instructions that come with the Ego clearly state to hold your finger on the screw head when tightening so it's no surprise. When a machine is released customer feedback is important to make little changes and if you notice the only qualms about the Ego are silly little things that I'm sure Bez will address if he releases and Ego 2.

The Limey
03-20-2013, 06:48 PM

After reading your fixes I have to say I'm tempted to buy one as those were the issues that were putting me off. My only concern now is the vibration, have you tried his bio-grips?

MickWrath
03-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Haven't tried the bio grips but with disposables the vibration is on par with bizarre v2, halo, and inkjecta S3. With stainless I don't even notice it really. The machine has a buzz to it but not as bad as a coil by any means especially loaded and hitting skin but the vibration is nowhere near as bad as that buzz would have you believe. I honestly think this would be a great machine for your situation Limey. They are amazing with ttechs too! The vice tolerances on the tube stem hole are so perfect with the screw swap it is a rock solid vice! And it's so light and well balanced it honestly just feels like you're holding a tube without a machine.

The Limey
03-21-2013, 05:11 AM
That sounds promising, I'm totally sold on my impact but there is something about the ego that makes m want to try it.

slicksteel
03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
so does the needle bar pull out/move forward every time you try to get the needle/gromment off? Do you have to push against the triangles to keep them in when unloading?

MickWrath
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Yes slick with the standard oem bar you have to hold the triangles in place and even then they still come out a bit. With the straight pin it slides right out and leaves the triangles in place. Less fumbled parts to mess with.

slicksteel
03-22-2013, 07:43 PM
So do you mean every time you change the needle bar it pulls out the nipple/pin out and its left in the grommet/bar eyelet?

MickWrath
03-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Depends on if you clamp your eyelet and what type of grommet you are using. But the straight pin slide out easy and is reinserted into the triangles trouble free