PDA

View Full Version : Please explain "give" to me

Tommy
07-26-2011, 09:10 PM
My dragonflies, and many other rotaries, have an adjustable "give".

1. Im sort of not sure about the physics of this. How does a compressed spring produce give on the downstroke?

2. Is it even actually desirable? Is it really a feature, or a nuisance?

slicksteel
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
To me it hurts a lot less when you have some type of give-I did a large post on here a long time ago, all about give it-skin pressure etc

Tommy
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
im gonna go out on a limb here and say every rotary ive used with "give" based on a coiled spring eventually becomes a loud, chattery mess.

slicksteel
07-26-2011, 10:25 PM
try the rapiers,they dont i think the problem is the ones were you can change the give will all have problems.How is that m.metaxa rotary i was thinking of getting one.

Tommy
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
it happened to the rapiers. it happened to the dragonflies.

slicksteel
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Have your rapiers done that yet (you do use them alot ,right?, I think the problem is the ones were you can change the give, will all have problems.How is that m.metaxa rotary I was thinking of getting one.

Tommy
07-26-2011, 10:52 PM
yeah... i think its inherent to anything with a coiled spring in it. that spring is not going to stay springy under those conditions... how could it?

maybe they should start packaging them with spare springs. I think that might be a wear-point that just has to get replaced every so often.

slicksteel
07-26-2011, 10:57 PM
yeah... i think its inherent to anything with a coiled spring in it. that spring is not going to stay springy under those conditions... how could it?

maybe they should start packaging them with spare springs. I think that might be a wear-point that just has to get replaced every so often.
tru it well only hold the same tension for so long before it gets mushy-I think that is why the pirate is allso making those new flat spring hybrids so the end user can service them and change the way it runs pretty easy.

gangstajay
07-27-2011, 02:07 AM
get a whip..it has adjustable give and it wont make any noise

Tommy
07-27-2011, 02:12 PM
get a whip..it has adjustable give and it wont make any noise

that's the plan. :)

Tommy
07-27-2011, 03:50 PM
just to make clear, both the dragonfly and the rapiers are excellent. i just think i've worn the springs out. I am rough on my stuff.